Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Mar 18, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #406 of 806
The one that came with it? Again not judging or anything. Just trying to learn
I changed the cable to a better one and it is plugged to a normal power socket. Do you recommend a better solution?

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #407 of 806
I changed the cable to a better one and it is plugged to a normal power socket. Do you recommend a better solution?
As long as the outlet is grounded a normal socket is fine. I've read that some people use power conditioners for their equipment but I have no idea how big of a difference that makes.

The sockets in the old building i am in are unfortunately not grounded so I use UPS's and Surge Protectors for everything. I know that doesn't guarantee protection but it's better than nothing.

I was curious about your chain because you introduced the Matrix to me. I already knew people used DDC's with a high quality USB cable to their PC but you have introduced a device in between the DDC and the cable.

Was curious about the benefits.

I figured that if you were improving the USB signal further you were probably also giving your DAC a power source that was as clean as possible.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #408 of 806
And then I see people using Ethernet. Is Ethernet always better than USB even when it is "purified" with a DDC and/or a device like the Matrix ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #409 of 806
Thank for sharing your thoughts. I still have a Pontus II and I like it, but according to me it is not an all-rounder. It is excellent with jazz and rock, but not enough energetic and fast for more modern music. Do you feel that Cyan 2 is an upgrade in that sense?
x2, I'm interested in knowing too, since I listen also to a lot of EDM and rock and metal so if the Cyan 2 is just to relax in that sense then maybe it's not a really good fit for my music listening habits.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #410 of 806
And then I see people using Ethernet. Is Ethernet always better than USB even when it is "purified" with a DDC and/or a device like the Matrix ?
Ethernet is a whole area in its own right, some people add purifiers like the iFi LAN Silencer or audiophile grade network switches like those supplied by LHY in order to minimise noise transmission into the audio chain. Lots of controversy about this of course.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #411 of 806

DAC with Ethernet input means it contains a mini Linux computer which needs to use an usual audio interface to DAC part itself. Gustard confirmed that USB interface is used in Audalytic AH90. So using DAC with Ethernet input does not make the digital interface and possible noise impacts to it non existing, just you don't see it and you cannot influence how it is implemented. You cannot add galvanic isolation or for example iSilencer between the two internal parts.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #412 of 806
DAC with Ethernet input means it contains a mini Linux computer which needs to use an usual audio interface to DAC part itself. Gustard confirmed that USB interface is used in Audalytic AH90. So using DAC with Ethernet input does not make the digital interface and possible noise impacts to it non existing, just you don't see it and you cannot influence how it is implemented. You cannot add galvanic isolation or for example iSilencer between the two internal parts.
Can you clarify the first part after the word "computer"? I don't understand

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #413 of 806
Can you clarify the first part after the word "computer"? I don't understand
Computer means computer. For example Holo Audio Red contains Compute Module 4 board from Raspberry Pi 4. Every streamer contains mini computer inside. The digital audio signal cannot be passed 'somehow' to the DAC device but only through a standardized digital audio interface like USB, I2S, SPDIF. There is no principial difference between streamers containing DAC and a set of a separate computer and DAC. The main difference is that with streamer you spare one case, one power supply, one power cable and one interconnect cable, some connectors, buttons etc.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #414 of 806
Yes, it is the correct 2.1 firmware. In the 2.1 download package there is a 2.1 fixed volume and another 2.1 version. They are both 2.1 which is required with my Cyan 2. Magna recommends the fixed volume version which was the one I installed. (2.0 is not even available for download.)
Any update from Magna ?

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #417 of 806
@betula Wow - i wonder if this means all early batch Cyan2 models affected.
Unlikely. They said, this is the first time they encountered such issue. We still don't know the exact causes, they will try to replicate the problem once the new batch arrives to them in about a week. Then I will swap the module and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't they will replace my unit.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #419 of 806
We are waiting for a new USB module.
That's very unfortunate - have you had the option to test other inputs to at least use it to some degree?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #420 of 806
Unlikely. They said, this is the first time they encountered such issue. We still don't know the exact causes, they will try to replicate the problem once the new batch arrives to them in about a week. Then I will swap the module and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't they will replace my unit.
But what actually prompted you to know something is wrong?

Obviously 'low volume' issue but is it REALLY obvious, like abnormally low volume?

Like hardly any volume?

Would be nice if you can share so others can listen if similar for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back