Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #361 of 806
First post on the forum.

I have been following this thread for a while now and it's provided some great feedback and pushed me closer to pulling the trigger on the Cyan 2. The one red flag for me is the input selection, my understanding is that you have to physically unplug existing inputs and plug in new inputs to activate them.

Did I understand this correctly? Is there are more elegant workaround where you have everything plugged in, such as a toslink, coax and USB, and if for example your toslink and USB devices are turned off and coax is on, it will switch to coax automatically? Or do you have to physically unplug toslink/USB for the coax input to be selected?

I'm also cross-shopping the Cyan 2 with the Audio-GD R28 NOS which appears to have more value with the added headphone/preamp section (I do most of my listening over a two-channel stereo, but a quality headphone amp would be a nice addition). There's a level of simplicity that I like with the Cyan (perhaps too simple), especially after reading the R28 thread about the lack of a manual along with QC/firmware issues. Am I also to understand that the USB implementation on the Cyan is better?

Currently, I'm running a musician pegasus mk1 which is a solid dac, but I find myself using the NOS feature more and want to experience a true NOS dac. Thanks!
You can have multiple digital inputs connected, just turn the ones you don't want off, and the Cyan2 will be just left with one live one. As far as I know, if you have more than one live, then it will default to picking USB over anything else. The guy behind HQPlayer has put some measurements of the Cyan2 on another forum and points out that the jitter is essentially zero for the USB interface.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #362 of 806
Just went out of stock at Magna. Damn my procrastination

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #363 of 806
Just went out of stock at Magna. Damn my procrastination
I must have been one of the last customers then. Paid for it Monday morning, received the Cyan 2 today. Can't wait to switch it on tonight.
Hopefully Magna will get it back into stock soon. :wink:

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #364 of 806
Advice needed.
I flashed the firmware as per the instructions which was 'successful'. After the fw update there is no sound, like the Cyan 2 was not receiving signal (only the power led is on).
Troubleshooting so far:
- unplugging cables, restarting devices
- reflashing firmwares (both fixed volume and the other version) it seems successful in both cases, but the result is the same: no sound
- reinstalling windows driver, even after complete manual uninstall
When I dig deep in windows device properties, event viewer, there is an error code of 411. This apparently means the 'plug & play' function doesn't recognise the driver. (Which I have reinstalled a few times.)
It is the same whether I USB between my computer or streamer.
I am out of ideas at this point.

Attachments

• USBFirmwareUpdateREADME.pdf
    319.8 KB · Views: 0
  • USBFirmwareUpdateREADME.pdf
    319.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #367 of 806
did you installed both firmwares?

FIRMWARE

Warning: You need to install the right firmware otherwise the device can be damaged. If you don’t know which one you need, check this document.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #368 of 806
did you installed both firmwares?

FIRMWARE

Warning: You need to install the right firmware otherwise the device can be damaged. If you don’t know which one you need, check this document.
Yes, it is the correct 2.1 firmware. In the 2.1 download package there is a 2.1 fixed volume and another 2.1 version. They are both 2.1 which is required with my Cyan 2. Magna recommends the fixed volume version which was the one I installed. (2.0 is not even available for download.)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #369 of 806
Yes, it is the correct 2.1 firmware. In the 2.1 download package there is a 2.1 fixed volume and another 2.1 version. They are both 2.1 which is required with my Cyan 2. Magna recommends the fixed volume version which was the one I installed. (2.0 is not even available for download.)
Sorry to hear about your Cyan2 Windows driver issue. When I received mine, I just connected it to various digital sources and had no issues. Since I never intended to use it from a Windows device, I did not update the firmware, just used as supplied. I have connected it direct to USB Audio from the DMP-A6 android box with no issues, also an Android tablet running USB Audio Player Pro again no problems. Have Magna HiFi or Holo Audio been of any help ? Have you tried connecting over USB from non Windows devices, will it wake up then ?

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #371 of 806
Sorry to hear about your Cyan2 Windows driver issue. When I received mine, I just connected it to various digital sources and had no issues. Since I never intended to use it from a Windows device, I did not update the firmware, just used as supplied. I have connected it direct to USB Audio from the DMP-A6 android box with no issues, also an Android tablet running USB Audio Player Pro again no problems. Have Magna HiFi or Holo Audio been of any help ? Have you tried connecting over USB from non Windows devices, will it wake up then ?
I am planning to use it from my DMP-A6 streamer. Magna is waiting for advice from Holo.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #372 of 806
Hi everyone. Been using the Cyan 2 since January and are extremely happy with it!!! The first time ever with any dacs that inserting an intona usb galvanic isolation yields no improvements at all!!! That’s how good the usb implementation is!!!

By the way, I never really paid much attention with the unit but wonder why both the USB and I2S led lights are on at the same time when I only ever connected using USB ? Is it normal?

I just noticed when music is played, it will detect usb and the i2s light goes off

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #375 of 806

Users who are viewing this thread

Back