Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #107 of 806
On AudiophileStyle forum i saw "bogi" wrote that Cyan2 has galvanically isolated digital inputs

Only the USB is (and TOSlink obviously)

Definitely not the I2S input which was the context of that discussion over there - I2S is not simple to galvanically isolate

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #108 of 806
Cyan2 specs say 20W power use

That is not small consumption to be left on 24/7
It's best to leave R2R dacs on 24/7 because the resistors need time to stabilize at their operating temperature in order for the dac to sound its best.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #109 of 806
It's best to leave R2R dacs on 24/7 because the resistors need time to stabilize at their operating temperature in order for the dac to sound its best.
Yes 30 minutes is easily enough for all components to stabilize.

Does not require 24 hours.

Anyway my point was about 20W power usage.

Each user can decide if this is a small consumption or not, to leave running 24/7

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #110 of 806
Yes 30 minutes is easily enough for all components to stabilize.

Does not require 24 hours.

Anyway my point was about 20W power usage.

Each user can decide if this is a small consumption or not, to leave running 24/7
No need to get short, yes, to each their own.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #112 of 806
It probably doesn't draw much when not in use tbh, and even then...it's a dac, not a gaming pc

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #113 of 806
It just depends if 20W power usage 24/7 bothers someone financially and/or environmentally

20W is 20W - the electricity bill doesn't care if it is a DAC or a s3x toy

For leaving it on 24/7 and only listening for 1 hour? 2 hours?

Everyone is different

My point was just to raise the 20W in case people were not even aware...

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #114 of 806
Disclaimer this are my subjective impressions on the Holo Audio Cyan 2 standard version paired with the Mjolnir 3 via xlr using only the usb cable to the laptop with Amazon Music Unlimited on High gain connected tonthe He1000 Stealth with the xlr cable. I listen mostly to post rock genre Sorry for any grammatical errors.

Starting from The Music

Jeff Buckley - I Know It's Over (The Smiths cover) the s are not disturbing at all compared to the bifrost 2/64 that was piercing my ears.
Cult Of Luna - Leave Me Here goes straight and deep to the feels not fatiguing at all
Flies Are Spies From Hell - Imagine Your Murder min 2:05 transition from Guitar fading to Attack on the Tom Tom there Is a piano in crescendo in the background that Is clearly audible
Yndi Halda - A Song For Starlit Beaches Min from 9:20 to 10:15 had goosebump Min 12:20 super busy passage with guitars violins cymabals and you clearly can hear the bass riffs
FB_IMG_1696431288990.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya from min 8:30 It starts a busy passage very good separation with the low end that is not covering the violins in the background
Long Distance Calling - The Nearing Grave (feat Singer of Katatonia) Min 6:29 double pedal kick drums going at the same Speed of the riffs of the guitar never realized It
Mono - Dream Odyssey Min 6:20 there Is a crescendo of instruments that are not creating a Wall Sound and Is very engaiging
Her Name Is Calla - Thief Min 1:39 before the Singer starts you can hear a Lip lick that i never noticed
Kyuss - Demon Cleaner the outro where there Is a Guitar solo fading away you can hear to the last info really impressive
Coheed And Cambria The Audience Min 2:00 there Is a second Guitar in the distant background that Is doing a lot of stuff going from left to the right i can hear It but not as defined as The Merason Frerot + Pow 1 the cyan 2 Is more of a side grade than and upgrade compared to the Frerot. The Cyan 2 has better depth and holographic effect noticeable pariculary in Chocolate Chip Trip from Tool but generally speaking the sound Is more in you face, front row. the low end delivers when required, i love the timbre and the highs that are never fatiguing It's impressive in the reproduction of cymbals notes, you can distinguish a crash from a hi-hat and has a long decay that reminds me of tubes i love It.
The Merason + Pow 1 has more width and less depth but It's more neutral and airy Simply put It synergies Better with the he1000 Stealth nature but i can see how the cyan 2 could be a perfect match with the zmf headphones or the he1000 se this Always in my humble and subjective opinion.
The Cyan 2 Is and Amazing dac but it's not the sound signature that i'm looking for
If anyone wants to trade a Merason Frerot Pow 1 for a brand new cyan 2 ready to be shipped 🙂 dm me i'll post It on the classified section in any case or i could always return It

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #115 of 806
Disclaimer this are my subjective impressions on the Holo Audio Cyan 2 standard version paired with the Mjolnir 3 via xlr using only the usb cable to the laptop with Amazon Music Unlimited on High gain connected tonthe He1000 Stealth with the xlr cable. I listen mostly to post rock genre Sorry for any grammatical errors.

Starting from The Music

Jeff Buckley - I Know It's Over (The Smiths cover) the s are not disturbing at all compared to the bifrost 2/64 that was piercing my ears.
Cult Of Luna - Leave Me Here goes straight and deep to the feels not fatiguing at all
Flies Are Spies From Hell - Imagine Your Murder min 2:05 transition from Guitar fading to Attack on the Tom Tom there Is a piano in crescendo in the background that Is clearly audible
Yndi Halda - A Song For Starlit Beaches Min from 9:20 to 10:15 had goosebump Min 12:20 super busy passage with guitars violins cymabals and you clearly can hear the bass riffs
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya from min 8:30 It starts a busy passage very good separation with the low end that is not covering the violins in the background
Long Distance Calling - The Nearing Grave (feat Singer of Katatonia) Min 6:29 double pedal kick drums going at the same Speed of the riffs of the guitar never realized It
Mono - Dream Odyssey Min 6:20 there Is a crescendo of instruments that are not creating a Wall Sound and Is very engaiging
Her Name Is Calla - Thief Min 1:39 before the Singer starts you can hear a Lip lick that i never noticed
Kyuss - Demon Cleaner the outro where there Is a Guitar solo fading away you can hear to the last info really impressive
Coheed And Cambria The Audience Min 2:00 there Is a second Guitar in the distant background that Is doing a lot of stuff going from left to the right i can hear It but not as defined as The Merason Frerot + Pow 1 the cyan 2 Is more of a side grade than and upgrade compared to the Frerot. The Cyan 2 has better depth and holographic effect noticeable pariculary in Chocolate Chip Trip from Tool but generally speaking the sound Is more in you face, front row. the low end delivers when required, i love the timbre and the highs that are never fatiguing It's impressive in the reproduction of cymbals notes, you can distinguish a crash from a hi-hat and has a long decay that reminds me of tubes i love It.
The Merason + Pow 1 has more width and less depth but It's more neutral and airy Simply put It synergies Better with the he1000 Stealth nature but i can see how the cyan 2 could be a perfect match with the zmf headphones or the he1000 se this Always in my humble and subjective opinion.
The Cyan 2 Is and Amazing dac but it's not the sound signature that i'm looking for
If anyone wants to trade a Merason Frerot Pow 1 for a brand new cyan 2 ready to be shipped 🙂 dm me i'll post It on the classified section in any case or i could always return It
Appreciate the impressions, particularly with the Frerot.

I'm assuming this was all done without any hqplayer shenanigans? That's definitely a big part of why I'm interested in the cyan, which accepts much higher pcm and dsd than the Frerot (which doesn't do dsd at all). I'd certainly expect the cyan2 to be a side grade at best without this capability (and it could still be with it). I don't have the pow1 though, but I've heard the upgrade is pretty subtle.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #116 of 806
Appreciate the impressions, particularly with the Frerot.

I'm assuming this was all done without any hqplayer shenanigans? That's definitely a big part of why I'm interested in the cyan, which accepts much higher pcm and dsd than the Frerot (which doesn't do dsd at all). I'd certainly expect the cyan2 to be a side grade at best without this capability (and it could still be with it). I don't have the pow1 though, but I've heard the upgrade is pretty subtle.
Yes listened like i do via USB to the laptop Amazon music Tidal ecc without hqplayer or other stuff i'm a simple guy 😂 the Pow 1 Is subtle but in my opinion good improvment with more neutral and open soundstage.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #117 of 806

Starting from The Music

FB_IMG_1696431288990.jpg
I've been looking at the Cyan 2 and Frerot so these impressions were perfect for me, thank you! Sounds like the Frerot might be slightly more to my liking

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #118 of 806

Starting from The Music

FB_IMG_1696431288990.jpg
FWIW definitely worth trying either HQPlayer or at least roon/player oversampling if the issue is soundstage.

That's a bit of an inherent difference between NOS and OS rather than the hardware and you'll likely find a significant improvement

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #120 of 806
I do love NOS for certain genres and wouldn't want to be without the option if possible, but 75% of my listening is done with OS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back