Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #61 of 806
Hi all,
So out of nowhere I received a notification from DHL yesterday that I would be receiving a package from a source I did not recognize. I have no international deliveries that I could think of so I wondered if this could by the Cyan 2, but received no notification ahead of time from Kitsune that I would be receiving it and my order still says "Processing" on their page.

Well, to my *extreme* surprise: that's exactly what it is. Delivered only an hour ago I discovered I've received my Cyan 2 (ordered on Dec 14th). Posting some pics of the unboxing.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time this afternoon to hook it up and try it out because of a tight work deadline, but I hope to do it as soon as humanly possible and will live with it for a couple days and then post my thoughts here. Granted, as mentioned before, I have never heard any similar R2R dacs. I've owned an RME ADI-2 dac for many years and it has been my workhorse, but nothing I can truly compare. I wish I had heard a Spring or a May dac to see how this stacks up, but all I'll really be able to do is give you my virgin impressions, so take those for what you will.

Hopefully I'll be back soon to update!
IMG_0723.png
IMG_0724.png
IMG_0725.png
IMG_0727.png
IMG_0729.png
IMG_0728.png

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #62 of 806
Hi all,
So out of nowhere I received a notification from DHL yesterday that I would be receiving a package from a source I did not recognize. I have no international deliveries that I could think of so I wondered if this could by the Cyan 2, but received no notification ahead of time from Kitsune that I would be receiving it and my order still says "Processing" on their page.

Well, to my *extreme* surprise: that's exactly what it is. Delivered only an hour ago I discovered I've received my Cyan 2 (ordered on Dec 14th). Posting some pics of the unboxing.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time this afternoon to hook it up and try it out because of a tight work deadline, but I hope to do it as soon as humanly possible and will live with it for a couple days and then post my thoughts here. Granted, as mentioned before, I have never heard any similar R2R dacs. I've owned an RME ADI-2 dac for many years and it has been my workhorse, but nothing I can truly compare. I wish I had heard a Spring or a May dac to see how this stacks up, but all I'll really be able to do is give you my virgin impressions, so take those for what you will.

Hopefully, I'll be back soon to update!
Congrats on delivery. I hope that you will share some impressions soon.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #63 of 806
Ok, being that I have terrible ADHD, this thing was just wimpering on my table and I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to plug it in and just hear it quick. Pulled out the RME and plugged this guy in and gave it a quick 10-minute listen to scratch the itch.

Immediate impressions: DAMN!!

Again, my only real comparison is my ADI-2 dac that I've had for a few years, but immediately I could tell that everything felt...more robust. More liquid. There was more weight. I have messed with EQ on my RME and have around half-a-dozen presets to try and get close to this kind of sound. Granted, it's not that the RME is bad in any way, it's quite resolute and extremely precise, but this already feels more...fun? Engaging? I don't know.

My hope in moving to an R2R dac was to try to produce a sound that felt more like what I feel when I put on vinyl. I wanted an analog roundness to things. I'm going to leave this thing to burn-in for a bit before giving it another, more detailed listen but for now I think it accomplished that goal upon immediate listening.

I look forward to hearing from others who have heard the Spring or May to see what the sound comparison is there, but for now, for anybody interested, this is a quick and dirty 10-min snapshot and I am pretty damn impressed already!!

IMG_0734.PNG

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #64 of 806
Ok, being that I have terrible ADHD, this thing was just wimpering on my table and I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to plug it in and just hear it quick. Pulled out the RME and plugged this guy in and gave it a quick 10-minute listen to scratch the itch.

Immediate impressions: DAMN!!

Again, my only real comparison is my ADI-2 dac that I've had for a few years, but immediately I could tell that everything felt...more robust. More liquid. There was more weight. I have messed with EQ on my RME and have around half-a-dozen presets to try and get close to this kind of sound. Granted, it's not that the RME is bad in any way, it's quite resolute and extremely precise, but this already feels more...fun? Engaging? I don't know.

My hope in moving to an R2R dac was to try to produce a sound that felt more like what I feel when I put on vinyl. I wanted an analog roundness to things. I'm going to leave this thing to burn-in for a bit before giving it another, more detailed listen but for now I think it accomplished that goal upon immediate listening.

I look forward to hearing from others who have heard the Spring or May to see what the sound comparison is there, but for now, for anybody interested, this is a quick and dirty 10-min snapshot and I am pretty damn impressed already!!
Can't wait to hear more about your impressions of the Cyan2. Itching to buy one myself. Have been torn between this and the Audio-GD R1-NOS, but leaning toward the Cyan2.

In future posts, please consider using the photo insertion feature for your posts rather than placing a jpg that must be downloaded to view:

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 3.56.07 PM.png

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #65 of 806
Can't wait to hear more about your impressions of the Cyan2. Itching to buy one myself. Have been torn between this and the Audio-GD R1-NOS, but leaning toward the Cyan2.

In future posts, please consider using the photo insertion feature for your posts rather than placing a jpg that must be downloaded to view:

So I must be doing something wrong because that's what I was doing and it shows up as being viewable in the post in the preview, until I hit post and then it attaches it.

EDIT: Apologies, I just discovered that it seems it needs to be a PNG.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #66 of 806
So I must be doing something wrong because that's what I was doing and it shows up as being viewable in the post in the preview, until I hit post and then it attaches it.

EDIT: Apologies, I just discovered that it seems it needs to be a PNG.
It's likely a file size limitation. I downloaded your attachments earlier and it was about 5MB for each image.

The conversion of embedded images into attachments is probably head-fi's way to prevent a post with a bunch of large-sized embedded images bogging down a visitor's load time.

I'm not an iPhone user, but you should be able to resize the images down a bit, which should also reduce the file size and make them usable for embedding into your post.

Edit: I didn't realize he fixed his original post - removing his images from my post.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #71 of 806
Anyone else received a Cyan 2 and can share his impressions? I have a Denafrips Pontus II and wondering if Cyan 2 would be an upgrade

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #72 of 806
Hopefully all these requests for comparisons aren't too overwhelming but if any new or soon-to-be Cyan 2 owners also have any of the Soekris DACs (1421 or higher), a Qutest, or of course a Spring or May I'd really appreciate those comparisons

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #73 of 806
How does Cyan 2 perform vs Wandla, considering they are in a similar price bracket?

Wandla looks so much better on paper tbh.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #74 of 806
Curious on the USB implementation since it’s not their Titanis setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back