Holland / France trip with my family
Jun 26, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
16.. Great! That's the legal age for buying beer in the Netherlands. No problems there.
biggrin.gif

Why not?

They sold space cakes at the coffee shops when I was there in '98 but I thought they can't sell them anymore--along with psilocybin mushrooms.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #17 of 24
Indeed mushrooms are illegal for some months now. Space cake however is 'just' weed or hasj. You can buy them in every coffee shop in the Netherlands but maybe Amsterdam has its own rules regarding them.

Oh, let's not derail this thread. Last post on the matter. Talking drugs won't help the OP and it's a PITA for the moderators.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing about the church is not because I'm not religious, it's because I'm not christian and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Well, if truth be told, I think all religions are full of crazy people but it doesn't stop me from going inside a church.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 24
If you don't like to visit churches or cathedrals, you might like to visit a castle. There are many beautiful ones in France and a few in The Netherlands too. You also could visit the 'Zaanse Schans'. It's about 300meters from where i live
wink.gif
There are working windmills you can visit and other old dutch stores. Have a nice trip!

Zaanse Schans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 24
Does Holland have many Cathedrals? The population has been mostly protestant for a long time, right? England has some Cathedrals but they are mostly medieval and the majority of the population is protestant there too.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also could visit the 'Zaanse Schans'.

That's where the bus tour took us and inside one of the windmills they were doing an old school demonstration of making either Gouda or Edam cheese.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Holland have many Cathedrals? The population has been mostly protestant for a long time, right? England has some Cathedrals but they are mostly medieval and the majority of the population is protestant there too.

Nope. That has got to do with Holland's history. Read a bit into it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #23 of 24
When I was in Amsterdam in '85 I found myself in the middle of a demonstration about the Pope visiting Holland and they even burned an effigy of him so I do know Catholicism is not popular there but should do some research on it so will soon.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 24
guyx1992: I have not been to Holland (although I'd like to go someday), but I have spent some time in eastern France (Haute Savoie, Savioe, and Alsace), and if you can squeeze some time in for those regions, you will not be sorry.

Of all the places I have ever been to in France, those have the most beautiful scenery. If you like mountainous areas, you have got to go to the small town of Chamonix. If I spoke French, that is where I would retire, it is that pristine. In addition, there is a larger town called Annecy that is next to Lake Annecy. It is known as the cleanest lake in Europe. It looks like a Thai beach.

Even if you do not have the time to visit there, check these links out just for fun:

Haute-Savoie travel guide - Wikitravel
Savoie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chamonix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lake Annecy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back