Holding A PCB
Mar 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 13
I desoldered some caps just the other day. I just stood the board on its side, cap in one hand, iron in the other, melted the leads on the bottom of the board while wiggling the cap on the other side.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pick up one of those helping hands stands, they help a ton when working with diy in general.

Will that work with a board this big...it's about 10" long?

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 13
An old towel folded over several times, prefererably one of those bar towels (less lint). You can lay the board on your lap or a table for your normal soldering sessions. For desoldering, put the edge of the board on the towel so the board doesn't slip while you're holding the cap with one hand while you solder with the other. Cheap @$$ solution, but, hey, it's cheap.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by willne1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will that work with a board this big...it's about 10" long?

Ah, for long boards I've used two of them, but that is a bit tricky if you don't have any to begin with
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An old towel folded over several times, prefererably one of those bar towels (less lint). You can lay the board on your lap or a table for your normal soldering sessions. For desoldering, put the edge of the board on the towel so the board doesn't slip while you're holding the cap with one hand while you solder with the other. Cheap @$$ solution, but, hey, it's cheap.

Sounds like a good enough reason to go out for a cocktail to me.
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 13
cheers!

Seriously, though, there's a few old school guys who always used a towel on their lap or cut up and folded some old jeans. You want a bunch of folds to catch any solder and not burn your lap or the table, plus it helps the board stay put.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by v3nom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I desoldered some caps just the other day. I just stood the board on its side, cap in one hand, iron in the other, melted the leads on the bottom of the board while wiggling the cap on the other side.

This is what I do. Heat one side and pry it out a little then do the other side a little, the further it moves away from the pcb the more the leads comes out each time. Back and forth until one side comes out, then your home free.

It can be stubborn if the leads are bent over on the bottom of the pcb so it could take some force to get them started.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 13
I don't see why you need anything to hold it. Just stick it on the bench/table, grab the cap and heat the other side while pulling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back