hmmmmmm question just popped to mind
Mar 10, 2006 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IHaveNoSpaceBar

100+ Head-Fier
Let me prepare the mental image for you....

1. Klipsch 2.1 speakers (with headphone jack)

2. A500's audio technicas

3. Audigy 2zs

My question is:

Since the klipsch 2.1 have their own amp inside the subwoofer unit, does that mean the headphone jack is amped?

Or... would you recommend just plugging the A500's straight into the audigy 2 then?

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 12
This is a question I would like answered as well. I have the Klipsch 2.1 speakers and I often plug my UM2s into the headphone jack. The cord won't reach my soundcard, so I always wondered if it is worse to go through the speaker's hp out.

That would be cool if the hp out is in fact amped. -CK

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 12
All headphone outs must be, by definition, amped. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear much.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 12
Aren't all headphone jacks amped?

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 12
The question for me is whether the Klipsch speakers just act as a pass-through for the soundcard, or if they instead amplify the signal (and improve it). I think of it the same way I would think of someone amping their DAP to improve the sound.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
The question for me is whether the Klipsch speakers just act as a pass-through for the soundcard, or if they instead amplify the signal (and improve it).

Exactly.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 12
I have the Klipsch 2.1 and tried using the headphone jack on the speaker (before I had an amp) and they distorted horribly when I turned up the volume. Not earsplitting volume either. The speaker jack just couldn't supply enough current to drive the headphones properly (long since returned Sennheiser HD570). I would say that the jack is either un-amped or minimally amped. Either way, it seemed inadequate at driving those headphones without distorting.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
Exactly.

The Klipsch has to have its own amp, since it's presumably only receiving a line-level signal unsuitable for headphones from the Audigy. Usually, headphone jacks on speakers are inferior to soundcards.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 12
By the way, when I listen to my UM2s through the hp out on the Klipsch speakers, I have to use an in-line attenuator to add resistance and eliminate the very strong audible hiss that can be heard. Most likely this has to do with the sensitivity of my IEMs, but now that I think about it, it doesn't speak to strongly for the hp out's quality.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 12
I found the headphone out in my Altec Lansing speakers (pretty crappy to begin with) the absolute worst hole I could ever plug any of my headphones into. Honestly, I think plugging them into a wedge of cheese might produce a nicer sound. Both the motherboard's built-in sound and the Revo's were infinitely nicer. Maybe there are decent headphone outs in multimedia speakers somewhere, some place in existence....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back