Hmmmm! - New Single-ended Class A - Looks nice!
Sep 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #121 of 128
Upstateguy,

Remember me, glad to see you here.

When a tube is used the sound will be much smoother and more "airy", it is more difficult to obtain this characteristics from a all solid state amp. This I mean tubey. The more tubey the sound the warmer is the sound, probably it is not what you are getting from this amp. Looks like the 2nd harmonics is fairly low. I read from another site that the THD is about 0.45% at 1 Vrms output.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #122 of 128
Further update on the JSoundLab amp:

Used it this weekend with my DT770/600's. The DT770's (contrary to some outdated impressions) is not a warm sounding headphone, and lacks a little in the lower mids and upper bass, and is a little too forward in the treble. Still a good headphone, but on the edge of being bright. With the 770/600, the JSoundLab is an absolute revelation. Best amp I have heard yet with the 770/600, proving once again it's about SYNERGY. The extra warmth of the JSoundLab was waaaay too much with the DT990 and the DX1000; with the DT770/600, it's terrific.

If you have a slightly bright or cold headphone, the little JSoundLab is capable of delivering great sound - it just has to be paired with the right headphone for sure. This kind of "matching" can be tricky, but with the 770/600, everything lines up perfectly.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #123 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upstateguy,

Remember me, glad to see you here.

When a tube is used the sound will be much smoother and more "airy", it is more difficult to obtain this characteristics from a all solid state amp. This I mean tubey. The more tubey the sound the warmer is the sound, probably it is not what you are getting from this amp. Looks like the 2nd harmonics is fairly low. I read from another site that the THD is about 0.45% at 1 Vrms output.

Sure do.
L3000.gif

Keep me updated on your mods....

USG

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #124 of 128
Note to the JSoundLab amp:
I will get some nice 12AT7, 12AT7WA, ECC81, E81CC, 6201, E180CC tubes from Telefunken, Siemens, Raytheon, GE, RCA to test with the JSoundLab amp, when it arrives. Will be a nice experience.
Are there any coupling caps in this amp?

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #125 of 128
Skylab, thanks for posting your comments about this amp.

If its possible, could you make some comparisons with the Ming Da MC84-C07 you have and (from memory) the Elekit TU-882 about how they differ. From your comments elsewhere, I gather that all three have that romantic tube lushness, but just curious about how they compare.

The Mingda MC84-C07 has got my interest, but the cost of the better quality El84 and 5751 tubes has me thinking that either the Elekit or J-Sound Labs might be more sensible, if they are similar in their sound.

Thanks

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #126 of 128
Of all 3 of these, the J Sound Lab is the warmest and bassiest. The Ming-Da is less lush than the JSL, but lusher than the Elekit. The Elekit and the JSL are much better choices for low impedance headphones than the Ming Da.

The Elekit wins in terms of being the most universally appealing; the Ming Da wins for sounding the best with the widest variety of high-impedance cans and for being able to drive speakers; and the JSL wins for cans that really need some extra warmth and bass, regardless of impedance.

Hope that helps...

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #127 of 128
Many thanks Skylab, that was very useful feeeback.

I had read in your Elekit review that you thought the amp was more "organic" than the Ming da, and I took that to mean that the TU-882 would be more "tubey/lush" than the MC84-C07, so I'm glad you corrected my misunderstanding.

The cheaper 6cg7 tubes used and the quiet operation with low impedance cans does make the JSL quiet appealing. The speaker driving capability of the Ming Da is quite a nice feature too, though I'm not too sure what one can expect from the 5W output with a pair of 89-90dB bookshelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back