Hmmm Just got shure e4s, cant decide what to do
May 25, 2007 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
I just got some shure e4s, and the midrange is staggering. i made a thread a while back wanting phones that had ksc75 type mids and highs, and well i think i finally found what i wanted in my mids.

the e4s have magic with guitar- I love it!

the problem is that the bass is like not there. i tried different tips etc... but i just want a LITTLE thump- im no basshead, but i wanna hear some low notes (it is part of the music too ya know).

i had sf5ps before, boomy bass etc but it least it was there (the mids and highs are nothing compared to the e4 though).

where do i go? e500s? se420s? i love this shure midrange, but i want to hear some notes below 100hz.

May 25, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 22
With my Iriver about 4-8 bass boost out of a possible 20 (dependant on my mood) provides ample bass. E4's are very capable of providing low bass, just have to compensate for the roll off.

May 26, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 22
hmm i never really thought of that- i hear rockbox eats battery life though?

can i still use itunes w/ rockbox? sadly, i actually like itunes. i love smart playlists, and im too lazy to learn foobar.

May 26, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 22
I'm not sure about your 5g Ipod, but rockbox actually extends the battery life of irivers a good deal, as much as 50% longer battery life.

I would suggest reading up on rockbox, regardless of what you decide with the E4's.

May 26, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some shure e4s, and the midrange is staggering. i made a thread a while back wanting phones that had ksc75 type mids and highs, and well i think i finally found what i wanted in my mids.

the e4s have magic with guitar- I love it!

the problem is that the bass is like not there. i tried different tips etc... but i just want a LITTLE thump- im no basshead, but i wanna hear some low notes (it is part of the music too ya know).

i had sf5ps before, boomy bass etc but it least it was there (the mids and highs are nothing compared to the e4 though).

where do i go? e500s? se420s? i love this shure midrange, but i want to hear some notes below 100hz.

clearly it's there. maybe u have really crappy source or music files, or you're not inserting the tips properly so they disappear in your ears, or maybe ur exagerrating, and by "no bass" u mean "flat bass response"

May 26, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 22
Yeh..now that ive listened to them for another hour or so i notice it.

please dont insult my source files or my insertion abilities (haha jk)

its just the bass isnt what i would call present.

yes i was exaggerating. i have no problem with flat response, but on songs where the bass is the marquee region, the e4s dont present it so, so i use the term recessed. flat to me is neutral (transparent to the source).

I think i may grow to really enjoy the e4s, but im feeling upgraditus to the max.

May 26, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 22
So sorry my friend, but you need an Amp and a LOD. Dr. Ray Samuels of the RSA and the master craftsman at the ALO clinic have the cure .
cool.gif

May 26, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 22
but that would cost me like 300+ which is more than the cost of the phones. would the amped e4c sound better than an amped e500?

thing is- i dont feel like carrying around and amp w/lod. i know it's ideal, but its too big of an effort for me. maybe someday, but for now im stickin with the ipod (though its getting older, it was one of the first 5gs, so i might get a new mp3 player in the upcomming year. wont likely be an ipod).

May 26, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but that would cost me like 300+ which is more than the cost of the phones. would the amped e4c sound better than an amped e500?

thing is- i dont feel like carrying around and amp w/lod. i know it's ideal, but its too big of an effort for me. maybe someday, but for now im stickin with the ipod (though its getting older, it was one of the first 5gs, so i might get a new mp3 player in the upcomming year. wont likely be an ipod).

I hear you.

Well, now you know the curse of the neutral. The e4c's allow you to hear your ipod's hp-out accurately (assuming you are using good recordings and have inserted the phones properly), and you perceive its shortcomings.

I honestly don't think the e500's will offer much improvement with your ipod. You not only need bass, you need controlled bass. A decent hp-amp will do this. But, another alternative is to try a player with an excellent headphone out, like a Zune.

You could always get the e500's from a local store (fry's or apple store) with a return policy and audition them. If you like it, then return them and go somewhere else for a better price. Same thing goes for the Zune.

To answer your question: I'd rather listen to the 4c's using an ipod feeding a tomahawk via a LOD than listen to e500's out of the ipod's headphone jack.

-m

May 26, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 22
Chase,

I've been using my e4c for a year now with my ipod video. My favorite tips are the westone short comply. They're comfy and seal really well. At first, i felt that it could use a little more bass but using rock eq fixed this for me. No doubt the e500 is better but for me, i don't need a $300 iem. I'm very pleased with the performance of the e4c. Extremely tight and punchy bass.

May 26, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 22
well i sold my sr225s and hd595s because i realized that i would get much more use out of portable phones.

Honestly, 300$ for an amp plus like 40 for a lod would bring my setup to nearly 500$. that is pretty steep. AND my setup would bulk up which is a major downside.

the e500 would be a 150$ dollar upgrade while the amp setup would be 350+ upgrade. its not apples to apples.

The zune looks cool, but i really have no use for most of this junk. i want lots of GBs with good sq decent battery life in a small package. i dont need fancy color screens with album art etc...

I guess this should be a different thread, but is there this magical mp3 player? great sq, great battery life? small form factor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back