Hmmm, 39$ digital HIGH-END amp....!?!?
Nov 4, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #76 of 101
I received my wee amp, stuck 8 Ni-mh batteries in it and hooked it up to the only speakers I have; Dynaco A25XL's. These are not efficent speakers but the bugger drives them at a comfortable listening volume using the Chaintech card in my computer as a source. I had to go to France for a week but when I return home I'll look into getting some more appropriate speakers. It is a very nice amp for under $30.00 US.

Nov 4, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #77 of 101
I have a sonic-T powered by a 13.8 volt, 1.75A PS, technics cd player, cambridge soundworks model six speakers, chase remote line controller as pre-amp, and it sounds excellent. The PS provides much more headroom over using batteries in the T -amp. Awesome imaging and clarity, absolutely no noise, very good bass with the model six speakers. Measured SPL's in the bedroom close to 90 before clipping, plenty to upset the family. Cassandra Wilson makes this system absolutely sing.

Nov 4, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloyd
I have a sonic-T powered by a 13.8 volt, 1.75A PS, technics cd player, cambridge soundworks model six speakers, chase remote line controller as pre-amp, and it sounds excellent. The PS provides much more headroom over using batteries in the T -amp. Awesome imaging and clarity, absolutely no noise, very good bass with the model six speakers. Measured SPL's in the bedroom close to 90 before clipping, plenty to upset the family. Cassandra Wilson makes this system absolutely sing.

Can you provide the brand and model number of your power supply? I'm looking forward to powering my Paradigm Atoms with it (89dB efficiency).

P.S. Welcome to Head-Fi.

Nov 5, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #79 of 101
I also have one of these amps, my speakers are quite efficient (93db) and the volume I get is more than enough to drive 4x10"! I believe it can compete with my normal amp, NAD C370, at playing music. But without all that powerful bass it isn't that exciting at AV stuff.

I have a voltage-adjustable switching PS, but I think it sounds better with batteries... The PS made it sound more dull for some reason.

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #81 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Can you provide the brand and model number of your power supply? I'm looking forward to powering my Paradigm Atoms with it (89dB efficiency).

P.S. Welcome to Head-Fi.

Thanks for the welcome.

The power supply is a Micronta, don't have it in front of me now to give you a model#. I believe radio shack used to carry them, I got mine for free at a garage sale, so I don't know if they are still available.

Just a note on using a PS with the t-amp.
I have tried a 300mA variable voltage walwart with the t-amp and it would clip early with the l.e.d. on the front of the t-amp flickering, like using batteries. Do not experience this with a 1.5A walwart or the Micronta.

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #82 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloyd

I agree with "p" here. I took out my Chase RLC as well to try with this; it's a little hazy or veiled, and etchy up top compared to the amp alone. But it's still nice, and it offers a second pre out to drive a powered sub, taking that bass need away from the amp.

That said, I also picked up the Teac Tri-Path amp from pandasonic here on head-fi, and put that into the system last night. It's got to warm up some, but it's already showing it's better than the Sonic Impact.

After reading up a bit, I decided to spring for an inexpensive tube preamp, wth remote and two pre-outs as well (Dared model ??). Should come early next week. I have heard tubes driving the Teac is VERY nice.

FYI, I am using a mod'd Sony NS500V SACD/CD player, Rat Shack LX-4 speakers, and cables are various: Gregg Straley twister pair copper and Magwire Naked IC's, Mapleshade Double Helix speaker cable, and a Michael Wolff Carbon/Silver Source cord plugged into a strip.

I have in house an unused Athena Home Theater system, will probably pop out a pair of sat's and the subwoofer to try out.

The only contrary thing I found compared to pfloyd's experience was that the sound was better to me using Alkaline batteries. I didn't have a 13.8V PS, though, only 12V, though it did have 2.0amp capability; maybe that's the difference.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
That would be ideal, but rather hard to find on a low budget. You should probably already be alright with something around 87 dB/W already.

It really depends on how loud you want to have your music, though: If you don't really want to listen in a loud volume (< 80 dBSPL), an efficiency ~ 87 dB/W should easily do. Whereas, if you want to blast your neighbourship with 120 dBSPL, you probably won't find any speaker that would manage that in combination with the T-Amp.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

how do you think this guy would do with axiom m3ti's?
don't see anything that says "efficiency"

Millennia M3ti Specifications

Max Amp Power
175 Watts

Min Amp Power
10 Watts

Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz)
60-22K

Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz)
50-22K

SPL in Room 1w/1m
92 dB

Anechoic SPL 1w/1m
88 dB

Impedance
8 Ohms

Woofer
6.5"

Tweeter
1"

Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD)
13.5x8.5x8.5

Weight
12.8 lbs per

is one of those numbers the "efficiency"? would this do even though it's 8 ohm impendence?

i don't want to listen to music very loud, i just want good reproduction at reasonable volumes

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #88 of 101
After some web searching tonight, I found some really great prices on 13.8V Pyramid regulated PSU's at millionbuy.com.

The 5A PS7KX that costs $29.95 everywhere else is only $19.95 at millionbuy. The 6A (8A-peak) PS8KX was only $22.95 + $7 s/h, so I did that one. It's probably overkill, but I know I won't ever be power-limited. I didn't notice the more than adequate 5A PS7KX was $19.95 until after I ordered.

I have no idea why the 3A PSU is $3 more than the 5A PSU. Maybe it's smaller and more popular?

millionbuy_1816_38295301

Pyramid PS4KX
3 Amp Power Supply
PYRPS4K Regular price: $34.99 Sale price: $22.95

millionbuy_1816_38365587

Pyramid PS7KX
5 Amp Power Supply
PYRPS7K Regular price: $39.99 Sale price: $19.95

millionbuy_1816_38406732

Pyramid PS8KX
6 Amp Power Supply
PYRPS8K Regular price: $44.99 Sale price: $22.95

millionbuy_1816_38435129

Pyramid PS9KX
5 Amp Power Supply w/Cigarette Lighter Plug
PYRPS9K Regular price: $44.99 Sale price: $22.95

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #90 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
Are those linear?

Hmm, these Pyramid PSU's *might not* be since linear is not mentioned specifically anywhere in the product specifications by the manufacturer. I have only read they are linear on 6-Moons' site, in Ebay auctions, and in FS ads.

6-moons said:

"Some of the Audio Circle crowd use a $20 Pyramid linear power supply sourced from Parts Express. However, I recommend a higher-quality power supply made by Astron which costs about $10 more. As you can tell, I am a "spare no expense" type of guy."

EDIT: I found two Astron RS-4A linear PSU's on Ebay for sale for a Buy-It-Now price of $9 + $12 shipping. I bought one of them just to be sure. The other one is still available if anyone is interested.

Astron RS-4A on Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back