Hmm, pondering commissioning an amp for my Grado SR-100's
Jul 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I've had the SR-100's since late 2001 and i've probably only listening to them for 100 hrs! Last week i pulled down the box from my closet and plugged them into my Rio Karma and now i'm in love with the sound to the point where my HE60's are taking a break.

So, i'm considering commissioning a amp builder to build me a amp that has a small foot print. Maybe tube based? Not sure what the hell would mate well with the SR-100's or the old Joe Grado line. I'm willing to spend $300 or more and i'd prefer a smallish amp considering to some behemoth that will clutter my already cluttered listening station.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-George

ps. The sr-100's sounded terrible with my mg head otl, so that's out.

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Ide check out the millet hybrid tube amp... has a nice small footprint and should fall easily into the $300 mark.

fogia.4, i'm more interested in a tube amp at the moment.

grandenigma1, do you have anyone in mind that i can contact to build me one thats reliable? I'll probably go all out on the sucker.

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 10
I'd say the ae-1 may work for you. Grado's work well with gilmore amps, justin from headamp says the ae-1 sounds similar to the lite so, I'd say it's a good bet. Or you could just go lite (which worked great with -> sr-200, sr-325, ms-2 , rs-1 , rs-2 , hp-2.. and other grados that I had).

Edit/ didn't see t he tube part. Sorry don't know any decent tube amps that will match what you are looking for.

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 10
I second the Headamp suggestion. I've heard a Gilmore Lite with SR-200s and it was fantastic. I'm sure the new portable one is very good also.

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the tips guys!

I fired off an email to one amp builder to see if he can build a millet amp. For some reason, i'm drawn to getting a tube amp built...it's like, i'm being drawn...to the....dark side
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 10
just wondering about the cans - red lettering? white drivers?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
evil_smiley.gif

If the answer is yes, Im ready to pay up.

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
evil_smiley.gif

red lettering.

White drivers? Dunno...never paid attention to that.

oh and the lettering is 100% intact
biggrin.gif

Even better, it comes with the original box, foam, one pair of comfies, bowls and flats
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Just wanted to rub it in
tongue.gif

FYI: KR... has a pic of mine in is heaphone gallery.

iDesign, sorry dude, i'll never sell them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back