Hmm..help me find the right amp
Jan 31, 2005 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mega

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a headsave classic, and i think it's great...but i think i want to try another amp that'll fit my needs. The sound im getting right now from my rig (look at my sig) is aggresive, and the sound is a bit thin.

I have a pair of W1000's, and may get some senns (580/600) again soon. I want an amp that has a warm, detailed (something that doesn't smooth the detail over), and a good low end/bass response. I really don't want to have to spend over $300, so i guess that's my limit. I would probably buy used, so that'll help me out some more. Basically, i want this amp to be a great match with the w1000's, more than the senns, but still being able to make both sound good.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 9
how about the Gilmore Lite? the bass has very nice impact and depth and the details are very smooth and clean. it'll work wonders when you decide to get the senns.

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 9
Anyone else? Warm, detailed, Bass,..making the headphone sound full and rich
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Sr-71? You may have to stretch your budget a bit though, since a used one goes from $300-370ish. Just a suggestion.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I was thinking about getting the sr-71, but i don't think i want an amp that uses batteries...i would want an exclusive home amp.

I did some research about the gilmore lite, but it seems as though from what ive read, that it wouldn't be a good match with my w1000's....the impressions taht im getting about the gilmore is that they have a clear, forward sound, that may or may not be too bright...i need an amp that will tame the highs a bit and give the w1000s a more rich, full body sound. Hopefully, i wouldn't have to get into tubes..bit too expensive.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 9
That's a tough one. What you want is MPX3 in sound but something cost significantly less. Among solid-state amps, I think Headroom product may fit your bill but it is too over your budget. Frankly you are looking for an organic sounding amp that doesn't compromise detail AND able to drive both low and high impedance cans... not an easy task.

I think you should consider Gilmore V1 or Corda HA-1 MKII used. IMHO V1 is more organic sounding than HA-1, but your mileage may vary.

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Hmm....i may be leaning towards a corda amp...

Are Corda amps known to be warm/full sounding? Ive also head that they are great with senn's as well.

It depends on your personal perspective, but I consider Corda as full sounding amp. However, I wouldn't call it warm (some may consider it a bit analytical with low impedance cans like ATH-W1000). IMOH, it's great with low impedance cans and also good with HD6x0 series as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back