HM-801 vs Algorhythm Solo+iPod Rig vs WhipMOD
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 22

I haven't bothered down-converting my hi-res files, I just listen to those on my desktop system or my HM-801. And it seems like dbpoweramp is good about capturing embedded album art during conversions. I love the program.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 22
How good is the amp in the HM-801? Could it drive most IEMs? That's mainly what I'd use. Only full size closed headphones I have are Beyer DT770/80 Pros, which don't need much in amping. I plan on getting the Westone ES5 (or Westone 4 if I don't have the money and I just have to have a portable setup) and then from there the JH13 or JH16 ONLY if the JH Audio customer service gets better because I have read a couple of horror stories of their customer service.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #19 of 22
The HM-801 now has several amp options.  I have the original version 2 card (designed primarily for full-size cans) and the GAME card (designed for IEMs).  The ES5 are extremely sensitive, so even with the GAME card you may hear a little hiss at low volume and get some channel imbalance in the volume range where most people would feel comfortable listening.

Aside from those issues, I find the amps to be pretty good.  They basically complement the HM-801's warm and fun sound; for example, piano chords have a very lush, if somewhat unfocused, sound.  When I want more clarity and/or neutrality, I use the lineout to my Pico Slim.

I haven't followed the HM-801 amp developments that closely, but apparently a balanced amp card is coming out soon too (that's mostly of interest to full-size can owners).

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #20 of 22
How much channel imbalance? That is one of my pet peeves. And how much would the GAME card cost me?

Quote:
The HM-801 now has several amp options.  I have the original version 2 card (designed primarily for full-size cans) and the GAME card (designed for IEMs).  The ES5 are extremely sensitive, so even with the GAME card you may hear a little hiss at low volume and get some channel imbalance in the volume range where most people would feel comfortable listening.

Aside from those issues, I find the amps to be pretty good.  They basically complement the HM-801's warm and fun sound; for example, piano chords have a very lush, if somewhat unfocused, sound.  When I want more clarity and/or neutrality, I use the lineout to my Pico Slim.

I haven't followed the HM-801 amp developments that closely, but apparently a balanced amp card is coming out soon too (that's mostly of interest to full-size can owners).

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 22
The imbalance exists at low volumes, close to where I'd imagine most people would listen in a quiet environment (especially with a highly-isolating and sensitive custom).  But I can generally find a sweet spot that is balanced and isn't too loud.  GAME card is $170.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
How good is the amp in the HM-801? Could it drive most IEMs? That's mainly what I'd use. Only full size closed headphones I have are Beyer DT770/80 Pros, which don't need much in amping. I plan on getting the Westone ES5 (or Westone 4 if I don't have the money and I just have to have a portable setup) and then from there the JH13 or JH16 ONLY if the JH Audio customer service gets better because I have read a couple of horror stories of their customer service.

There are a bunch of comparison questions I can't answer, but the 801 can drive just about anything with its stock amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back