HM-601 like dedicated DAC, possible?
Jan 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone, 

I have been enjoying the combination of my HM-601 player with my HA5000 amplifier and W5000 headphones. The HA5000 amp provides excellent extension and smooth sound to the W5000, while the HM-601 produces softer transients with full and warm sound, so what's the problem right? I think the slight issue here is, as most of you know the 601 unit is designed with IEM's mostly in mind, hence the slight loss in sound-stage and space when paired with my home setup. My question to you all is, can I purchase a dedicated DAC that has similar sound characteristics (musical and warm) to the HM-601 unit and not have to sacrifice the spaciousness of the sound-stage?

My price range would be somewhere between 300-600 dollar range, also my previous dedicated DAC is the Parasound 1100HD and to my ears surprisingly does not provide the synergy nor musicality I am looking for with the HA5000/W5000 setup. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, 

-Mike. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:

I just finished reading through some of your posts and others regarding this DAC, really impressive, even more so for the price. Looks like it is exactly what I am looking for. Do you think the sound-stage has good separation and does the added warmth take away from the extension? Either way I really have nothing to lose here, I will invest and post my impressions on the thread later! Thanks for the recommendation, cheers! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back