Hitting dogs/pets as discipline?
Jan 22, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 112
a little bop on the nose on occasion and a little tug on the chain.... what's the difference? I don't understand this complete aversion to anything physical at all... Emotional abuse is far worse than physical, at least in my opinion.

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #32 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just disagreeing with you and demonstrating why it doesn't work

You demonstrated my opinion doesn't work?

It's a shame good members who make interesting posts keep getting banned, where as people like you who frequently call members misogynistic, racist or abusive because they don't subscribe to your philosophy are allowed to remain.

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 112
I would never hit as pet, just like I would never hit a child!
In my opinion you acomplish more by using a firm "NO", and reward them when they do something the right way.

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #34 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a shame good members who make interesting posts keep getting banned, where as people like you who frequently call members misogynistic, racist or abusive because they don't subscribe to your philosophy are allowed to remain.

Dude, calm down. I just disagreed with you. Is that not allowed? Apparently not. If you'd like to counter my opinion, then counter it. By all means, go ahead.

If you have a problem with me otherwise, feel free to report me, or add me to your ignore list. I'm not going to apologize for calling something what it is, it's a different issue than we're discussing here.

(I wouldn't call members who make lewd suggestions of a sexual nature to you via email good people, but everyone has a different idea of what good is.)

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #35 of 112
early on, i taught my dog the "sit" command. that thing works for everything. she runs away, SIT and you walk over and get her. she's dashing for a dropped chocolate bar, SIT and you pick that candy up. she's jumping all over someone, SIT and they'll get a nice pat on the head instead (unless it's a total stranger and she flips out, hard to calm down pure instinct immediately). she starts to growl at a dog on a walk, SIT and she doesn't go anywhere until that dog is gone.

an obedience command can be a comforting thing for a dog - someone else can call the shots (me) instead of the dog feeling like it has to defend itself or be the alpha in a stressful situation. a SIT is never a punish, it's a "listen up" thing, the closest you'll get to a "time out" for a dog. for a kid, the time out comes with explanations as well as a cooling off period, but a dog doesn't understand your explanations - just tell her to SIT and chill until she can go about her normal business.

SIT also means treats when she's especially good, or at least a pat on the head and praise. positive reinforcement.

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #36 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
early on, i taught my dog the "sit" command. that thing works for everything. she runs away, SIT and you walk over and get her. she's dashing for a dropped chocolate bar, SIT and you pick that candy up. she's jumping all over someone, SIT and they'll get a nice pat on the head instead (unless it's a total stranger and she flips out, hard to calm down pure instinct immediately). she starts to growl at a dog on a walk, SIT and she doesn't go anywhere until that dog is gone.

an obedience command can be a comforting thing for a dog - someone else can call the shots (me) instead of the dog feeling like it has to defend itself or be the alpha in a stressful situation. a SIT is never a punish, it's a "listen up" thing, the closest you'll get to a "time out" for a dog. for a kid, the time out comes with explanations as well as a cooling off period, but a dog doesn't understand your explanations - just tell her to SIT and chill until she can go about her normal business.

SIT also means treats when she's especially good, or at least a pat on the head and praise. positive reinforcement.

i guess now wouldnt be the time to tell you that 2 years ago when i was at your old apartment spending the night your dog was irritating me so i gave it a little kick to its stomach..i feel bad but it left me alone the rest of the night.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #37 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess now wouldnt be the time to tell you that 2 years ago when i was at your old apartment spending the night your dog was irritating me so i gave it a little kick to its stomach..i feel bad but it left me alone the rest of the night.

WTH?? Are you serious??

not.funny.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #38 of 112
he's serious. that's why he never comes to new york anymore. Pumpkin would open a new hole in him.

shiba_inu.jpg

Do you feel lucky, 1911? Well, do ya?

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #39 of 112
Quote:

I was just disagreeing with you and demonstrating why it doesn't work, and why it would lead to the exintiction of endangered species that we're trying to save. I can reply to the opinion, can't I? I never said you weren't entitled to the opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Dude, calm down. I just disagreed with you. Is that not allowed? Apparently not. If you'd like to counter my opinion, then counter it. By all means, go ahead.

If you have a problem with me otherwise, feel free to report me, or add me to your ignore list. I'm not going to apologize for calling something what it is, it's a different issue than we're discussing here.

Would you two both please take your pissing contest somewhere else and stop disrupting this otherwise-interesting thread?

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #40 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you two both please take your pissing contest somewhere else and stop disrupting this otherwise-interesting thread?

I can't disagree with someone in a civilized fashion without him blowing a gasket, and then it's somehow my fault? I wasn't in any kind of measuring contest. Why the attack on me? I only disagreed with him. If you feel I was out line, report me. I fail to see anywhere where I said anything about anyone. My only concern in this thread was/is abusive behavior passed off as training methods. There are better ways which has been discussed already.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter what a person says, it just won't be read. This I fear is one of those times.

But back on topic...

The abuse of Jahn's dog is between him and 1911, but wow. It's a bigger problem than can be discussed in a forum.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #41 of 112
Poor Pumpkin wouldn't hurt a human soul, as many minimeet Head-fiers can attest to. She's a sweetheart who sometimes gets too needy for the first few minutes she meets someone. I have tried to stop the jumping up stuff, and now she's cool with absolute strangers who stay outside on the "right" side of the door (delivery men) and folks she knows (friends and family) but if a stranger to her comes into her place, she wants to scope em out. Unfortunately 1911 was one of those culprits, and he took a boot to her. She indeed never was overfriendly to him anymore, but to this day, he's the only human she growls at - and i think 1911 takes perverse pleasure out of it. He's a bad man.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #42 of 112
Exactly as I suspected. We have the exact inverse result as we got when asking about hitting children. Amazing, yet not unexpected.

Hitting defenseless kids is as wrong as hitting defenseless animals, yet society still sanctions it.

I think we need a third poll, namely: "Is it OK for other people to spank your children?" Such as teachers, principals, clergy, etc. I can already anticipate the result ("hell no"). But what's the difference who hits the kid when he needs to be "disciplined"? A hit is a hit, a smack is a smack regardless of who's delievering it. It's either wrong all the time in all circumstances, or just fine, so which is it?

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #43 of 112
OK...everybody lighten up, or I'll have to close the thread.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #44 of 112
Quote:

The abuse of Jahn's dog is between him and 1911, but wow. It's a bigger problem than can be discussed in a forum.

1911 had every right to kick Jahn's dog. He was trying to sleep for Pete's sake!

And he would have been well within his right to spank Jahn.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #45 of 112
Never strike an animal, it is simply not the way to correct, condition, or respond to any action or reaction the animal displays..

Makes me sad, my aunt has rescued animals for her entire life, and the accounts first hand are cringe-worthy.

Not to mention those that cause damage or harm on animals are more likely to represent the same cruelty to humans
frown.gif

There are cruelty to animals acts put in place for various regions if anyone is interested in the link that stipulates individual proponents based on state..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back