hitting a wall with my IEMs
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

knalb

100+ Head-Fier
I have some newer UM1s and I've noticed people are using tri flanges and large comply tips and various large tips and fitting them entirely into their ear canals. The only tips that fit in my canals are the smallest comply and a tri flange with the stock cut, and the top two flanges cut, so it's one big flange. Anything longer hits a wall in my ear which isn't comfortable. Is there something wrong with my ear? Do I have too much wax? Do I have an abnormally short ear canal?

Dec 14, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 4
There's nothing "wrong" with your ears. They just don't conform to the shape and/or size assumed by the IEM manufacturers. It sounds to me like your ear canals have a fairly sharp bend not too far from the entrance.

Have you tried lubricating the flanges before inserting them? OtoEase (expensive) or vegetable glycerin (cheap -- you can buy it at most health food stores) both do a good job. That may help ease the flange(s) around the bend.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you see an audiologist, who will examine your ears for obstructions, wax, etc. It may be that custom ear molds are your best solution. The audiologist can take impressions, from which you can have custom IEMs (expensive), or custom adapters for regular IEMs (cheaper), manufactured.

Dec 14, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Your ears are deformed, you should mod them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back