Hiss/Sibilant
Jul 16, 2004 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fl00r

100+ Head-Fier
I have a SlimX imp 550 and suffering from a Hiss/Sibilant (don’t know what the exact term is for this phenomenon but when the singer sings: social security it’s sounds like: ssssocccccialssssecurittttie)

I use the 4p’s from etymotic (un-amped) to listen to my music.

Question is: what causes the Sibilant?

Is it:
·A bad line out on the 550?
·A bad cd-rip (lame-vbr up to 320 kbps)
·The Etys?

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 11
I would not blame it on the Ety's. I have them and I don't get this from them unless its the source or the files. When listening to mp3's I often am subjected to this and Ety's will pick it up all the more which is a shame.

Try lossless if you can, and then look to the source.

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 11
mp3 encoding can only go up so much in frequency before it assumes that you can't hear any difference. The problem is that with crappy headphones that is the case indeed. With the er4p, you are pushing the limits of the mp3.

Jul 16, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 11
You can always try a beefy amp. But as the "s" is usually around 2500 Hz, there may not be too much you can do.

Jul 16, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
wait you said line out and unamp? did you connect the headphone to directly to the line out? that wouldnt work.

Exact. Hiss is normal with a unamped Line out, at least from a certain volume level on up. Use the Headphone jack.

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rtimmel
The Circle Jerks?

Aaah, I expected that question!
icon10.gif
It’s Suppers Ready from Genesis. One of my favorites from the time that bands made songs of 30 minutes!
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
wait you said line out and unamp? did you connect the headphone to directly to the line out? that wouldnt work.

No, I don’t do that. I ones did though, thinking that the optical line-out would give a better sound (silly me….)
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back