Hiss problem with Ipod 5.5G and IEM
Dec 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nico_g

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
Hiss is very noticeable with my Ipod 5.5G 80Gb and Shure E500 : almost same level when it's plugged to the headphone output or using the Apple radio-remote (dock connector).
The hiss is easy to hear when you pause the Ipod or when there is silence in music.
Even at low sound level setting, there is hiss. It disappears only when the volume is set to 0 (amp is off).
With another IEM : UE Hifi 5 EB, the hiss is lower, but always here.
Is this normal ?
Thanks for help !

Dec 15, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 8
I heard it with my 5.5G 30Gb and UE SF5Pros. Amazingly, when I loaded Rockbox, the hiss went away! I don't understand how Apple's stock firmware could be so obviously inferior to Rockbox, written by hobbyists!

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nico_g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your answer.
So, if I understand well, when you were using the Apple firmware, you were experiencing hiss problem too.

There's a hiss, but thats due in part to the senstivity of the E500s. Get a line out and a low impedance amp...Everything will be fixed.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard it with my 5.5G 30Gb and UE SF5Pros. Amazingly, when I loaded Rockbox, the hiss went away! I don't understand how Apple's stock firmware could be so obviously inferior to Rockbox, written by hobbyists!

So there is rockbox for the 5.5 gen? I thought there wasn't.

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nico_g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your answer.
So, if I understand well, when you were using the Apple firmware, you were experiencing hiss problem too.

Yup, hiss with Apple firmware on 5.5G and IEMs. To remedy, get an impedance/airline adapter (or make your own), or get an inexpensive amp with low gain (will improve sound quality also), or learn to live with it, or get Rockbox!

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there is rockbox for the 5.5 gen? I thought there wasn't.

There is, but it is highly experimental and not officially supported. In other words, use at your own risk. Some instructions are at ipodlinux.org under the loader2 section of the wiki.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 8
I think that the best solution for me is an amp.
So, I have ordered a Tomahawk
cool.gif

I hope it will be delivered for Christmas !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back