Hiss on IEM's
Feb 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #46 of 54
Hi Robojack,

I've heard a lot of good things about the D2 and thinking maybe I'll have a look at one. The Tomahawk is quiet as well? That's interesting because I have a collection of amps that really don't like low impedance on them. That's another amp I was thinking of getting. Heard such good things in the UK press about them as well.

More money ......
tongue.gif

Ian

May 7, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it would be useful to create a list of decent (as far as decent MP3 goes) setups and which IEM's work well with which MP3 player!!

Perhaps I should have posted in this thread instead...

Does anyone have experience with higher impedance IEMs (e.g. q-JAYS and Atrio M5/8) with the iPhone and iHP-120 (unamped)?

The dynamic Atrio should be less sensitive to hiss, but on paper the q-JAYS have the highest impedance...

May 7, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Cowon D2, and I'm finding with both my Superfi 5 Pro's and Atrio M5's that I get NO hiss whatsoever. Especially with the Atrio's which are more insensitive than most IEMs at 32ohm, cranking the sound up to 34/50 still gives me to no hiss, so pretty impressed with the IEMs.

I recently added a Tomahawk amp to this setup, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

There is hiss. You need to plug and unplug the phones while a song is paused.

May 7, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My UM2s are very sensitive, 119dB, and hiss is audible from many sources, including my Xenos amp, but not from my Zune or my vintage Sony PCDPs.

Yes, the Zune background is black.

May 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #50 of 54
black only means for the phones you are using or: you cannot hear the hiss. i heard hiss from atrio on the d2 even with music playing but i listen very quietly. when i had um2, i heard it to an annoying degree. use um2 and sensitive to hiss ears on zune, there will be hiss. any amplification will reveal hiss. all amps hiss - just some less than others.

May 8, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #52 of 54
A similar thread is going on in the Headphones forum, but basically, I don't think an attenuator is an ideal solution - especially for portable use.

If I have my DAP in my pocket with the attenuator sticking out, it's just a matter of time before the headphone/lineout socket is going to get damaged.

Add to that the fact one of the main benefits of IEMs is their unobtrusiveness, and it doesn't make sense to me to have to use an attenuator to fix a problem which (given how much we're spending on good IEMs) shouldn't be there in the first place.

Right now I'm looking at the Sleek SA6s, which have an unusually high impedance for IEMs...

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #53 of 54
I'm currently using an iPod Classic connected to a CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Solo with an ALO Rx MK3-B connected to a pair of FitEar To Go! 334s. There's some hiss but its not noticeable when music's playing.

Any thoughts on how to minimize hiss?

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #54 of 54
Very noticable on my Shure SE846. Never heard hiss on my B&W C5 2s... Never use an amp, only straight out of my S7 edge with tidal hifi. Frustrateing to pay 1000dollars only to have Stairway to heaven ruined by hiss :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back