Hiss on IEM's
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any decent solutions to the problem of hiss on IEM's? While I am satisfied with the sound of the IEM's that I use, one problem that they all have in common is hiss. More hiss from Irivers than the Ipods. I know that the problem is there because of the very low impedance of the IEM's.

I have tried the plug that comes supplied with one set of IEM's that I use. Hiss has gone and also the sound goes right back - a bit too much.

I tried Dr Meier impedance plug - sound goes back less than the IEM supplied one but it's not so convenient portable because it juts out and is a matter of time before I break the socket connection.

I've tried a variable volume control type and I can adjust the sound to exactly the point where the hiss goes so the volume control is more sensitive but the sound in all cases seems to recede so that the IEM's don't sound as 'fruity' as they did without attenuation. These devices all change the character of the sound.

Is everyone else just listening through a veil of hiss?

Ian

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 54
Try to use amp. Some portable amps cut off all the hiss (at least I couldn't notice any hiss coming out from Shure E3s while I was using CMOY done by a friend of mine). Not all though, for example iBasso T1 adds some hiss.
I think it's the only way to get rid of hiss and have still 'fruity' sound.

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 54
Hiss from IEM:s can be reduced if phones are used that are more inefficient. This gives a better signal to noise ratio (SNR) because of the higher volume setting now is required. SNR could also be increased with a headphone amp, which is hiss free, where source sends signal in full strength (max volume) to amp.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 54
What is the source you are using? What is the encoding you use?

It is so weird but I have not experiences hissesss with my iems. I use presently Atrio and I used Crossroads X3, EP630,CX300 with Cowon players but cannot succeed in getting hisses.

I use ipod video rockbox with Atrio and no hisses. I use Creative players, sansa e200 but no hisses.

I think and I know that my hearing is OK and not impaired. I could not listen to sources who hissees.

I have bought a boxset of classical music from the 40-50s and they have the crack-pop-and hisses that come with the recording, and even though the music is fantastic, I have difficulty listening to it because of the presence of hisses.

How do you guys/girls listen to music with hissess?

regards

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 54
My UM2s are very sensitive, 119dB, and hiss is audible from many sources, including my Xenos amp, but not from my Zune or my vintage Sony PCDPs.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 54
I'm in the same boat. I have 2 pairs of iems. A pair of sensaphonics 2x-s and a pair of e500's and have hiss issues when using my millet portable. I love the sound of the millet, but the hiss comes through if there is a lot of space in the recording. I have the attenuator that comes with the e500's, but it really changes the sound. If I'm using my hornet there is no problem. My souce is a 5.5 imod with vcap portable. (amazing by the way!)

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 54
I don't hear hiss with my Sony DAP and Atrios setup, in general. I can hear hiss if the original recording is old and poor enough to have lots of master tape hiss, but I hear none on modern recordings, even at high volume settings in quiet passages.

The caveat is that my ears are 49 years old, so my high frequency sensitivity might be attenuated a bit.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 54
i had um2 and they hissed with everything, sold them. i use atrio m5 now and love it and it only hisses a little with ipod and a little less with the cowon. i still have a difficult time believeing that the zune would not hiss with the um2 but then i am very sensitive to hiss.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 54
I have the Superfi 5's, Shure EC2 EC3 and EC4 - all hiss with avengeance. It is the source making the noise. The Irivers give out more noise than the ipod Nano but the Superfi's especially sound like I'm standing next to a waterfall.

If only the IEM's were made at say 32 ohms rather than the extremely low impedance that they are currently made, this problem would not exist. Makes you wonder whether the manufacturers listen to their products attached to real products.

I guess the only answer to this in order to retain what I call the 'fruity' sound of the IEM's is to stick an amp in line so that I can turn the volume up at the source and turn it down at the amp so that noise gets masked.

Not good though, is it when you consider the cost of some of these IEM's?

Thanks for replies guys.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back