HISS!? Itunes > Cheap USB cable > Music Hall DAC 25.2 > Gold plated 1/8 to 1/4 > JH16 Pro.
Feb 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aceofd1amonds

Head-Fier
Ok, here's what I've got. Please help me troublshoot.

I've got my computer plugged into my music hall dac by a cheap usb cable. With itunes paused I'm getting quite a bit of high pitched hiss. If I unplug the usb cable it pretty much goes away. So I deduce that the problem isn't the DAC though I do get some very very low noise that sounds like someone running a sink a couple rooms away - not that big of a deal, but if I could kill that would be a major plus.

If I plug my phones directly into the output of my computer via the 1/8" headphone jack I get about the same amount of hiss I get from just the DAC. Same from the Ipod classic.

SO, what's the issue? 

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
could be grounding issue

1. check if your outlet is grounded properly
2. try a different power cord
3. try a cheater power cord which lifts the ground (power cord which doesnt have a ground). i do warn you that your product wont be grounded, which could be dangerous

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Dont remove the grounding what ever you do, but if you have the dac in the same socket as computer equipment then the interference could be coming though power, you can try a power condition , a shielded power cable with its own ground loop, putting ferrite clamps on your power cables.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 8
try a different source on your dac (plug in a cheap cd player or something)

then you should know if it's a usb or a power plug issue

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Great call on the power cable. The local audiophile shop engineer says to flip the power cable on the computer. I will try these things in a bit right after I get my Apple TV set up as my music server!!

Thank you for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back