Hiss in Sony A818?
Feb 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am quite sure that what is hissing is not the sony, but the amp you are using. the sony has stable hiss from 0 to 25, just a noise of the internals. however, if you hear that amplified through 595, it must not be the sony, but the amps noise. i used to have an at amp that hissed heaps after about 33-50% on the volume knob.

the senns would never heard hiss from the sony without the amp. if you have the volume on the sony all the way up, then only signal gets through, no hiss. i use amps to get rid of hiss as they focus on signal and the hiss gets squashed.

your cmoy is making noise for you mate!

You beat me to it
biggrin.gif
, that combo should'nt hiss at all. Even with the most (hissy ) players- meizu, kenwood, ect , ect, my 595 were dead quiet. Gotta be the amp.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You beat me to it
biggrin.gif
, that combo should'nt hiss at all. Even with the most (hissy ) players- meizu, kenwood, ect , ect, my 595 were dead quiet. Gotta be the amp.

Hmmm.... the thing is, with my iPod Classic hooked up to the Cmoy, I get NO hiss at all, so I assumed it was the Sony. This is a very basic Cmoy that has no volume control itself, you control the volume with the player. I figured I didn't need volume control on the amp since there currently is no line out cable for the Sony and you have to amplify the headphone out. The amp is very strong, and I only have to put the Sony on volume number 4 for it to be loud enough.

Rick

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #48 of 60
that is a strange amp then. If you keep the volume at four there will be so much hiss to signal ratio. In order for just about any players hiss to be overcome you must set its volume high. Now I see why you get hiss. With my supermicro - I set volume to about three stops from the top and then adjust from the amp - no hiss at all with the Sony that way

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #49 of 60
Ok, thanks for your reply. At least that explains why my basic amp hisses.

Anyway, I just went and ordered another amp-- the Penguin Caffeine. This one has gotten some good feedback here, and yes, it comes with a volume control! LOL.

Rick

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #50 of 60
I just got the Sony A816 and for me, there is a distinct hiss when nothing is playing. I listen to a lot of piano so this could be quite a problem.

I also have a Sansa Clip, it has NO hiss, nothing.

So now, I'm considering returing my sony, is there another high end player - creative, cowon, etc that will have the sound quality of the sony, but no hiss?

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomveil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Sony A816 and for me, there is a distinct hiss when nothing is playing. I listen to a lot of piano so this could be quite a problem.

I also have a Sansa Clip, it has NO hiss, nothing.

So now, I'm considering returing my sony, is there another high end player - creative, cowon, etc that will have the sound quality of the sony, but no hiss?

Try to use an attenuator before you return it. That is what I am doing and I am happy. The hiss is gone... ( You can get an inline volume control from Radio shack for a couple of dollars, which work as a great attenuator)

On a different note: I also have a Cowon D2, and it has no (or very little) hiss of its own, but some classical music (piano) has its own hiss (part of the music recording...)

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #54 of 60
the inline volume control is the attenuator. It uses a potentiometer, which is a variable resistor. As you turn the dial or lever, it sweeps to a different resistance value.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

Very informative thread, BTW. Jay, please do post your findings when the HD-25 shows up. They're the headphones I plan to use with this player.

Sorry for bringing up this Zombie Thread, but after reading this I had to chime in! I have been plagued by my hypersensative hearing (high freqs) since I was a kid. I also could tell if a TV was on in a home while still outside the house. Thank goodness for LCDs.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #56 of 60
Just to add my quick input to the Sony/hiss debate.

I have 808's - little hiss. 829 - quite a lot of hiss. 639 - some hiss. 1060 - almost no hiss. I'm using Etymotic 6is mostly and with all the above once the music is playing there's no real problem(IMHO) and I love the sound of my Sony/ETY combinations.

HOWEVER - I also sometimes use UE superfi 5's and 5 Pros. Now they are very much more hissy with all the above. So for me it's more of a headphone thing - very low impedance (?) UE phones hissing more. And at home i'm using cans (Senn HD25s) - no hiss at all then!

Regards all.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirleywhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add my quick input to the Sony/hiss debate.

I have 808's - little hiss. 829 - quite a lot of hiss. 639 - some hiss. 1060 - almost no hiss. I'm using Etymotic 6is mostly and with all the above once the music is playing there's no real problem(IMHO) and I love the sound of my Sony/ETY combinations.

HOWEVER - I also sometimes use UE superfi 5's and 5 Pros. Now they are very much more hissy with all the above. So for me it's more of a headphone thing - very low impedance (?) UE phones hissing more. And at home i'm using cans (Senn HD25s) - no hiss at all then!

Regards all.

So no hiss in the X1060? That is actually quite good to know as I have not used one much, and it was several months ago too.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #59 of 60
I know that there's so many variables at work here - the player, the phones ( and sometimes amps/interconnects) and (maybe crucially) your EARS!!! BUT - as a fairly addicted Sony fan - I'd have to say that the X1060 is the best sounding player I've ever heard. ( and I can also add Zens,Nanos and a batch of minidiscs into the mix as well) I love the wide soundstage - a "warm" sound ( but not too coloured) - lots of SQ tweaks if you need em - though I tend to turn all enhancements off - the sounds just suits me well!!

Of course YMMV!! Regards to all.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recently read in some threads, that there is a hiss on the A818... Is this true?

Is the Sony going to dissappoint me - as I absolutely cant stand any hiss???

I have used this very combo for nearly a year and have lots of Classical music on mine. I can hear no hiss what so ever mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back