Hiss in Sony A818?
Jan 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Miklos

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

based on the excellent reviews (here and elsewhere on the web) I bought an A818 on ebay ( should arrive probably next week ).

I also bought Denon AH-C700 IEM's.

I recently read in some threads, that there is a hiss on the A818... Is this true?

I often listen to (very) quiet (actually - very wide dynamic range) classical music.

I used an Iriver hp120 (with Ety 4S IEM's) before, and I had zero hiss . I also have a Sansa e280 v2 - and that has no hiss either (with Sennheiser Mx500 and Koss KSC75 ).

Is the Sony going to dissappoint me - as I absolutely cant stand any hiss???

Please tell me that is not the case...

Thanks for any response!

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 60
If you didn't hear any hiss in H120, You will not hear any in A818 too.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 60
My Sony S616 (same audio chip than the A8xx) breathes a lot, but I've gotten used to it. Might not please you, tho.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 60
the headphones you used before had either hi impedance or low sensitvity and that is why there was no hiss. the iriver series like sony and just about every other portable hisses. you denon would reveal that hiss to be quite a show with your new and old player - welcome to sensitive phones world

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also bought Denon AH-C700 IEM's.
I recently read in some threads, that there is a hiss on the A818... Is this true?
Please tell me that is not the case...

Hi Miklos - I have the Denon/Sony combo - and I don't hear any hiss at all.

I guess some people do, and some people don't. I'm quite sensitive to hiss, but for my ears - this combination is just fine.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 60
My A818 is absolutely BLACK on all of my rips. I use Etymotic ER4Ps so they should be able to reveal hiss if it was there.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 60
My a818 hisses ever so slightly with my denons, but not as much as e500. And you really have to strain to hear it, I think you'll be pleased
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 60
Miklos - I have been using my Sony for a bit over a week now and I can confirm that the hiss is noticeable on my NWZ-A818 paired with my ec3's (waiting on hd-25's in the mail). It is no where near as audible as the sound floor on my girl's touch but it is there.
I too listen to classical, and for me it's annoying. Being new to DAPs I have nothing to compare the quality to, other then the touch and my co-worker's zune. In my opinion the sony rivals those players in both sq and functionality.
If there is away to eliminate all hiss from a DAP I would welcome any suggestions. My hearing is overly acute and before lcd televisions I could tell if a tv was on in the house by the high pitch tone the tube tv's would emit. This is why I refrain from talking negatively of a DAP's hiss, I realize Im a bit sensitive.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 60
Thank you all for the helpful replies.

So I see some are saying one way, others the other way. I understand now, that hearing a hiss is very personal. Some people are more sensitive, other are less. Some people hear it, others not (or only less so).

So I guess that all I can do is wait and try for myself.

I cant wait to get my new Sony and Denon's in my hand to try (and I am mentally preparing myself for the possibility of a slight hiss - just in case)

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay sun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and before lcd televisions I could tell if a tv was on in the house by the high pitch tone the tube tv's would emit.

Wow, I thought I was the only one!

Very informative thread, BTW. Jay, please do post your findings when the HD-25 shows up. They're the headphones I plan to use with this player.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 60
if the 818 is much different than other sony, i have the sony 615 for extreme portable as my shuffle got lost in an airplane somewhere. the sony hisses heaps more than the touch, but it still is palatable.

i think the sony 818 is supposed to have similar innards to the 618 or 615 - same thing unless you live outside japan. then the software is the terrible tornado driving you to the wall.

honestly though, the touch has much less hiss from my iem source: atrio m5 and my canal source: denon c700

good luck but the sony as nice as the amp is, are way too hissy for truly portable phones for me

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 60
I have the sony 616 and the hiss isn't all that bad with shure e500's..I mean you can hear it it's understandable with those iem's...I don't have the denons but I don't think it would be worse than the with the Shure e500's.

I have to disagree with shigzeo on the hiss compared to the ipod touch...using the e500's the hiss on the touch was way worse than my sony 616...infact I've never heard a player hiss more than the touch, even at the lowest volume setting the touch had an incredible amount of hiss.

I think you'll like the Sony...but it does have an aggressive sound to it but you may like that. The EQ works nicely too.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

Very informative thread, BTW. Jay, please do post your findings when the HD-25 shows up. They're the headphones I plan to use with this player.

I will be more then happy to share my experience with this combo. Hopefully it's a beautiful symbiotic relationship between the two. However, I am starting the process of building a portable amp just in case I need the extra volume to cut through the noise at work.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay sun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be more then happy to share my experience with this combo. Hopefully it's a beautiful symbiotic relationship between the two. However, I am starting the process of building a portable amp just in case I need the extra volume to cut through the noise at work.

Please do. I'm considering buying the HD-25 for my Sony A808 (as a winter-alternative for the Denons C700 I currently use).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back