Hisoundaudio P vs Sony NXZ-X1060 Quick Comparison
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

aob9

New Head-Fier
Today I became the proud owner of the Hisoundaudio Rocoo-P "Power Version" and quickly set about comparing to my very capable X-series Walkman.

I would like to point out that this is a lay-mans comparison as I lack much of the audiophile terminology and experience that I often find on this forum so forgive me for the simplistic language used. 

Also, I do not class myself as an audiophile, rather a lover of great music on decent quality devices. Sony have been my mainstay for a long time but they have lost me with the new Z-series walkman as I don't want a brick in my pocket. It's also safe to say my favourite genre is Rock and I like my Bass.

The headphones I used were the Hisoundaudio POP(O) and the Beyerdynamic DTX 101ie IEM's.

For this quick comparsion I listened to Pearl Jams' "Pearl Jam"  studio album ripped in 320 kbps MP3 and also in flac. 

First the Sony actually compares very well with Rocoo-P which doesn't really surprise me as it is a great little device. However the main differences were......
The soundstage is noticeably wider on the Rocoo and the "out of head" feeling is much more apparent.
The highs are more forward and crisper on the Rocoo, on the Sony they appear more recessed and not as bright
The bass appears to be slightly duller on the Sony and not as tight.
On the Rocoo there is much more apparent hiss on quite tracks especially on the Beyerdynamic IEM's, this surprises me slightly as the Sony X is noted for it's hiss although it never really bothered me as my music is generally of the "loud type". 

The real difference is in the flac file format, the Sony doesn't play flac and a side by side comparison of the 320 MP3 on the Sony vs flac on the Rocoo is really noticeable to me and I reckon this is where the Rocoo wins outright for me at least. On occasions when I like to sit back in a relaxed environment I will be playing flac files on the Rocoo. The Sony will do just fine in most other environments. 

I also reckon that the Beyerdynamics are more suited to the Sony whereas the the POP(O)'s bring out the lows in the Rocoo much more effectively. The Bass is too deep when the POP(O)'s are paired with Sony.

Was it a worthy upgrade? Well yes for the money. I don't think the X-series is inferior to the tune of €500 but for €200ish the Rocoo-P is one fine player and well worth the investment, it looks gorgeous too. I will be keeping the Sony X BTW. 

I hope this was useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back