Hippo Shrooms Review
Dec 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #16 of 22
It seems like you are really starting to like your Hippo VBs brendon? Your review sounded a bit less enthusiastic about the Hippo VBs.

I like the design of the Shrooms, simple, small and a bit of elegance. Although that impression might change if I can get some more pictures that show them from a couple of different angles.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like you are really starting to like your Hippo VBs brendon? Your review sounded a bit less enthusiastic about the Hippo VBs.

I like the design of the Shrooms, simple, small and a bit of elegance. Although that impression might change if I can get some more pictures that show them from a couple of different angles.

Yes the sponge has really helped. I hate harsh treble and do not want any earphone that has sibilance and harshness. The RE1 has a completely opposite presentation than the VBs and I love the RE1s so much so that even the RE252 black friday sale did not tempt me.

However I used the VBs today instead of the RE1s and heard things in the music that I listened to daily that I did not hear with the RE1s. The reason is not that the VBs are more detailed than the RE1s (they are not) but since the VBs are very neutral they do not muffle any frequency as they have plenty of depth and extensions. So many sounds that were lost with the forward midrange and not so great treble of the RE1s suddenly became heard with the VBs.

So I have dropped my plan on selling the VBs. They are no longer harsh and make a good companion to the RE1s as the sound signature is very different.

I have not updated the VB review as I am burning in the Crossroads Woodie 2. Will do a 3 way comparo then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 22
Me? Lotsa Japanese rock/pop + Trance.

The Shrooms pumped out adequate amounts of deep bass IMHO to enjoy most of Markus Shultz's more bassy tracks from Progression Progressed (Lost Cause (Mike EFEX Remix), Fly to Colors (Genix Remix) - specifically).

That coupled with the airy soundstage, smooth mids and sparkling highs (though, the E5 did take away some detail in exchange for the bass) did me in, ultimately...
biggrin.gif

Bear in mind, this is through the Fuze + LOD + Fiio E5 (on bass mode) - and even then it's VERY track dependant. Straight out of the Fuze, the Shrooms are clearly bass deficient.

Even with the amp in bass mode, give it a track where bass isn't given emphasis and you won't hear much of it.

And NO, the Shrooms do not in any way match the bass coming out of the VBs. The VBs are bassier by a long shot. Just that, out of the box with minimal burn in, I find the VBs to be FAR more sibilant then the Shrooms.

And it was the Shroom's clarity (in my very limited experience) that amazed me enough to get them over the VB... The ample (IMHO) deep bass with amping was just a bonus.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what's the difference between those and the Mylarone Quattro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the bass on those Shrooms *really* is... I'm quite sure they use 7mm drivers like the Mylar Quattros, due to the same housing. Curious in what way that can match the 10mm drivers of the VB.

I finally have the Shrooms in my ears and like what I hear. No burn in, straight from the box. Already clearly an improvement over the Quattro, both in sound and build quality. They can't be compared to the VB, as expected - quite different animals. Comparisons to the RE0 however are not so far off. Maybe the Shrooms change over time, as the other Mylarones and Hippo phones do, but so far so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the "review" in the first post is not particularly good and rather misleading. You don't compare IEMs to full sized phones, that just doesn't work. That's not even apples vs. oranges. The Shroom are very nice IEMs along the lines of the RE0 or Phonak PFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back