Hippo Shrooms Review
Nov 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

qinjuehang

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for cheap closed headphones and IEMs lately for use on the go, and really, I found a awesome deal! (not trying to sound like an advert, but yeah
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Anyway, straight to the point, I bought a pair of Hippo Shrooms IEMs. I myself lack experience with IEMs, so I am comparing to my Portapros and Grado SR80s. I'm using a Nokia Xpressmusic 5630 as source. (Better source to come later in a day or two, my desktop is out of service, and my amp is not done.)

Firstly, this pair of IEMs are not for you bass-lovers out there, neither are they for people accustomed to UEs and such. I got them for SGD $68 (about USD$48), a real killed price.

The first thing I did with them is to wear them on the train on the way home. And the isolation is superb. I don't have experience with IEMs, but I've used some cheap ones before (years ago, before I felt sorry for my wallet), and the isolation is superb. The volume I listen to on the train is only 1 notch higher than my normal volume. Granted, I can still hear the annoying voice telling me what the next station is, but for my music is completely listen-able one notch above the volume I listen to in near complete silence is quite good.

Alright, so for SQ comparisons:

Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit

I listened to Portapros, then switched to the Grados and lastly the Shrooms. The most noticeable difference between the three is bass. The Portapros had the most bass, followed by the Grados and the Shrooms has the least bass.

The Grados here are the clear winner. The Portapros didn't sound too bad, but lack detain compared to the other two. However, when I put the Grados on, the bass drops ever so slightly, but the guitars simply comes alive. And surprisingly, guitars in this song sound quite as good on the shrooms as well. However, the highs (I presume cymbals) are overpowering, and the bass extension (or lack of it) shows from the drum beats.

For this song, I prefer the Portapros slightly over Shrooms.

Queen - The Show Must Go On

For the intro (organs), the Grados are the clear winner again. However, the Shrooms, for all its worth, put up quite a fight. In fact, it is only slightly bettered by the Grados. The Protapros, on the other hand, sounds pretty boring.

As with the previous song, once the drums start, the shrooms fell back. Bass extension, quality, and quantity are all lacking, even more obvious here.

At 2:2x there is a mini guitar solo, and there, the shrooms really shone. It was on par with the SR80s for a short while. However, once the solo ended, I noticed that Freddie Mercury sounded even more shrill than usual, almost to the point of stabbing your ear. The Portapros sounded rather flat at the guitar solo, and muffled the vocals compared to the other two, but bass is on par with Grados in terms of extension and quantity, but is rather muddy.

For this song, I prefer the shrooms much more than the Portapros.

Pink Floyd - The Gunner's Dream

The piano is simply awesome with shrooms. However, when the vocals start, there is a tininess to the sound...almost like you are listening to Roger Waters through a telephone (that is exaggerated, of course). The pianos on the portapros, on the other hand, is not quite as impressive. The vocals are...as usual, not bad but not very interesting.

For this song, I prefer shrooms over Portapros. (However, at about 2:13, the drum beats sound quite bad with shrooms, due to its inexistent bass)

Nine Inch Nails - Echoplex

Due to a change of mood, I decided on a more modern song.
On this song, the portapros performed quite well as it is rather bassy. Protapros do muffle the vocals slightly, however. The Grados in this case aren't quite the "clear winner" anymore, as it causes the guitars to be overpowering. The worst is the shrooms here, as the song sounds completely different, with the lack of bass.

The Grados are marginally better than Portapros on this song, and either blows the Shrooms away.

So, to sum it up,
Bass: Completely lacking
Mids: Rather Clear (I was surprised at first by what such cheap earbuds can do)
Highs: Clear as well, but sometimes shrill.

They are rather analytical and brings out a lot of detail in songs, but on certain songs can sound rather tiny. They are good for certain types of rock and metal, as long as you are not a basshead. These are rather cheap, so try them. You might just be surprised!

As a side note, these have rather low efficiency and impedence, possibly drawing too much current for a phone to handle, so they might improve on my desktop (which has some amping ability, with discrete op amps and such.)

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 22
Good review
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally own a Shroom and its currently undergoing a 100++ hours of burn-in.. The sonic performance is top notch. Some fellas in Indonesia even compared this IEM (amped with Boa) with UM3X (direct) and still wins the fight, how cool is that!??
biggrin.gif
I also did a review on this shroom back in our lovely (Indonesian) forum.. Let me share some pics here if i may
smily_headphones1.gif

16102009199.jpg

dsc04893e.jpg

10.jpg

credit for the pictures goes to goldpocket and pitom
biggrin.gif

also, big thanks for Alvon, Dimas and Uncle Wilson @ Jaben.net
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 22
Seems like a great value for that price point. How would these compare to its similarly priced competition like the Senn CX 300?

Oh, and the psychedelic product name is just awesome. Some Jimi Hendrix Experience on these would probably conjure images of...

Psychedelic_Mushrooms.jpg

biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the shroom compare to the Hippo VB ? anybody hear both ..

I believe ClieOS has both. He's still working on the reviews of them, just be patient.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the shroom compare to the Hippo VB ? anybody hear both ..

i prefer shroom than Vb..
shroom transparency are unbelievable for its price..
YMMV..

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 22
yea, the shroom is more transparent, has stronger mids than the vb and sounds smoother. but the bass impact is not as great on the shroom. they both are great for what they do.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 22
Lol, I'm a basshead, and I prefer the Shrooms over the VB myself.

Had a chance to audition both, and while I agree that the VB has great bass (and sounds crap sibilant out the box), it was strangely the Shrooms that I kept on reaching for - and ended up buying.

Even though it was the VB that I was initially interested in.

Initial impressions follows (+ a few hours of burn in):

1) The clarity of the Shrooms are exemplary, even more so for its price. As a result, the soundstage sounds airy, well layered and relatively huge, as a result of no excess midbass (actually, I don't think there's much midbass at all) muddying things out.

2) The Highs are sparkling and clear, though the higher extended frequencies sound a tad distorted and rough.

2) The Mids are generally neutral and fits male and female voices well. Everything just sounds... right. At least to my inexperienced ears.

2) Bass on the Shrooms are tight though slightly deficient in quantity - though, given a bassy source, amp (preferably with some form of bass boost) or bass heavy source EQ; things should balance out better. For comparison, the bass is more obvious vs. the PL50s, for example. This is probably due to the more neutral mids and sparkling highs on the Shrooms, compared to the more warm, slightly recessed highs on the PL50.

3) They look NOTHING like the Quattros in real life, save for the general design. It's a whole lot thinner and one can instinctively tell the Shrooms from the Quads.

4) NO tips look like it would fit the Shrooms except the given tips, due to the strange design. The Blue/Red silicone tips for left/right is genius though.

Moar impressions to follow with further toasting.

@tetsu85: How would you compare the RE0 to the Shrooms?

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 22
It sounds tempting...

Personally, I'm returning my VBs. I don't know exactly what it is, but maybe due to too much bass plus harsh highs resulting in headaches for me. VB has tight, good bass, yes. But maybe it goes too low... I dunno. Something I have not experienced with Atrio or ie8. Come to think of it, I had no such problem with Vibes, either.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiraku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@tetsu85: How would you compare the RE0 to the Shrooms?

shroom sounds almost like RE0
but with less detailed in highs and mids, but have more bass..
for me, they like a "fun version" of RE0

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 22
@borako - Give the VB more burn in... The sibilant highs should tame down at around 100 hours. As for the head shaking bass, yeah, too much of a good thing can be bad lol...

For me, I guess I've had TOO many bassy IEMs to be able to justify something I have to burn in for so long...
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #15 of 22
^^ I have burned the VBs in for a lot of hours and yes the sibilance has gone down a lot but the treble is still slightly harsh. However take some sponge and stick it into the open canals and voila ! No sibilance and treble sounds much smoother !
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back