Hip-Hops great artists
Jul 23, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #31 of 39
Aesop Rock never gets love in these lists. Music for Earthworms, Appleseed, Float, and Labor Days - all will make your head swim. I haven't much cared for anything since Bazooka Tooth, but he has a new one on its way, so we'll see.

also, Cannibal Ox, The Cold Vein, and one who's been around for a while, but I had never heard of until recently is Jean Grae, esp. Attack of the Attacking Things. Actually, when I found out about her about a year ago, I realized I had actually been looking for her since '95 or so, but under the name What What, the name she went by on several tracks by Herbaliser.

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if I agree about the relative merit of Jay-Z; he's pretty great. But I'm glad to see Kurtis Blow mentioned on any list of all-time greats. To me, he really represents the neighborhood origins of the music.

Well, they were great (Best rock/rap fusion ever, among other things). But I didn't mention them because I thought they fell into the "too mainstream" category. They were huge sellers in their heyday.

IMO Jay Z is "meh..." He just doesn't grab me...his lyrics seem more "club-ish" than who he was directly compared against and even had a mini battle with, NAS. Nas' lyrics were deep and pretty intricate...kinda seems like he sold out, now that he's on Jay Z's label...What....but back in the day...he was NASty....lol.

Anybody like Dr. Octagon? That's a dope stuff right there....

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO Jay Z is "meh..." He just doesn't grab me...his lyrics seem more "club-ish" than who he was directly compared against and even had a mini battle with, NAS. Nas' lyrics were deep and pretty intricate...kinda seems like he sold out, now that he's on Jay Z's label...What....but back in the day...he was NASty....lol.

Anybody like Dr. Octagon? That's a dope stuff right there....

Sorry to sound ininformed, but isn't that on of Kool Keith's alter egos?...Or am I just smokin' the wrong stuff?

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to sound ininformed, but isn't that on of Kool Keith's alter egos?...Or am I just smokin' the wrong stuff?

yes it is

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #35 of 39
almost forgot about Kool Keith, and while we're at it, Slick Rick as well. both of them just have some crazy lyrics/phrasing.

and although not what I would call hip hop's greats, Princess Superstar (eg. Kool Keith's Ass) and MC Paul Barman are a lot of fun. Anything Prince Paul touches is fun music.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sage mother****in' Francis

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And check out Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth

... and Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #37 of 39
Eric B. & Rakim
Naughty By Nature
RUN DMC
Dre
2Pac
Biggie
Nas
LL Cool J
NWA
Public Enemy
Wu Tang
Slick Rick
Ice Cube

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aesop Rock never gets love in these lists. Music for Earthworms, Appleseed, Float, and Labor Days - all will make your head swim. I haven't much cared for anything since Bazooka Tooth, but he has a new one on its way, so we'll see.

also, Cannibal Ox, The Cold Vein, and one who's been around for a while, but I had never heard of until recently is Jean Grae, esp. Attack of the Attacking Things. Actually, when I found out about her about a year ago, I realized I had actually been looking for her since '95 or so, but under the name What What, the name she went by on several tracks by Herbaliser.

Thank you! From the very bottom of my heart. I've also been looking for Jean Grae but same as you, under a different name. I'll be picking up her album this week.

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #39 of 39
Just read through this thread, and unless I missed something, I don't think anyone mentioned Doug E. Fresh. Also Kool Moe Dee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back