Hip-hop recommendations?
Aug 23, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #16 of 41
I second The Roots since it is a fairly uncontroversial recommendation and a good entry into hip hop. They are an authority in the respected hip hip business and "Things Fall Apart" is probably their most popular album with the famous Erykah Badu feature. Personally, I really like "do you want more?!!!??!" which makes stronger use of real instruments and has some jazzy elements in it as well. Anybody who doubts the musical abilities of these people should listen to track 11. In any case, "Things Fall Apart" should be a good introduction to hip hop. The Roots is my most favourite hip hop group and I encourage you to try out some samples from this CD sometime.

Same goes for Mos Def and the other members around Rawkus Records such as Talib Kweli. Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides" would be the one look out for. Talib Kweli's "Eternal Reflection" and his collaboration with Mos Def on "Black Star" are also very good ones. Rawkus has a very modern sound with extremely cool beats. If you're afraid of monotonous and boring beats, then check out something by these people, especially the newer realeases.

I'll also second the recommendation for De La Soul's "Three Feet and Rising". They were the first to experiment with soul and jazz as early as 1989.

Depending on what musical areas you come from, there's a lot of hip hop with certain types of musical influences which you might like. Rock with hip hop has been pretty popular lately (The Root's "Phrenology" album takes a direction towards rock music just like Mos Def's latest "New Danger") but there's also a lot of hip hop with jazz elements such as represented by Guru Jazzmatazz (he even collaborated with Herbie Hancock for the track "Timeless") or Gangstarr (which is basically Guru and DJ Premier). Outkast can be pretty funky and is always a good choice for extremely entertaining hip hop. There are also a lot of hybrids between hip hop and electronic music. Of course, a lot has been done betwen hip hop and soul or RnB music. Really a lot to choose from.

Then there's also the serious type of hip hop which focus more strongly on things like societal critique. The earliest one is Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" (1988). Immortal Technique goes into a similar direction but is much newer with this "Revolutionary Vol. 1" and " (...) Vol.2". I don't really care for this kind of hip hop but it's got a big audience.

Just to throw a couple of famous recordings into the mix:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang Clan (their most influential album even though "Wu-Tang Forever might have been more succesful; I find Wu-Tang to be a boring but ymmv)
Nas - Illmatic (His debut which he was never able to top; very conventional hip hop; overhyped in my opinion but good nonetheless)
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal (uses RnB elements; it's nothing great imo)
Brand Nubian - One for all (1990)
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (an...acquired taste but no doubt that these people have a lot of energy)
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP (controversial person but I like his music and this is his best album imo)
Arrested Development - 3years, 5months & 2days in the.. (uses influences from African music)
Common - Be (Common along with Mos Def, Talib Kweli and The Roots used to define the term 'Conscious MCs'; he's made some classics in the mid 90s but this one is his best imo; positive music and it's either produced or at least strongly influenced by Kanye West)
Kanye West - College Dropout (a bit poppish but I like his style a lot; this guy definately knows how to entertain and this is an extremely well-executed album. Uses some soul elements, too. He is a much better producer than rapper however)

My personal problem with hip hop is that I can hardly finish a track without fast forwarding or skipping to the next track after a minute or two when it usually becomes too repetetive. One reason could be that I don't pay as much attentention to the lyrics anymore and after all, that's what this is all about.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
Thats Insane in the Brain for the Cypress Hill song.

I also recommend Immortal Technique, they're very good.

Haha, tells you how much I'm into hiphop. Yep, Insane in the Brain!

Aug 23, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #20 of 41
2Pac - Anything
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Bone Thugs 'n Harmony - Anything
Common - Be
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Dr. Dre - 2001
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Eminem - Original 3, not Encore
Eric B and Rakim - Raid in Full
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Kanye West - College Dropout
Mos Def - The New Danger
Mos Def and Talib Kweli - Black Star
Nas - Illmatic
Nas - Street's Disciple
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Bolds are must haves
Cheers!
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyPeN
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Bone Thugs 'n Harmony - Anything
Common - Be
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Eminem - Original 3, not Encore
Eric B and Rakim - Raid in Full
Kanye West - College Dropout
Mos Def - The New Danger
Mos Def and Talib Kweli - Black Star
Nas - Illmatic
Nas - Street's Disciple
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Bolds are must haves
Cheers!
biggrin.gif

I just took out the "gangsta" rap that he doesn't want, hope you don't mind! *i love censorship!*
icon10.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 41
**** i was gonna make a list of alot of hiphop people could listen to that wasnt gangster or hard but i smoked etc and it slipped my mind.... ill add some more later. when i have some time to think.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 41
This is difficult without having some idea of your musical tastes or what you are looking for... there's a lot to choose from. I'm just going to throw some things out from all angles and try to give a bit of a description so you can see what sounds appealing (album ideas in parenthesis).

Beastie Boys: Good group from the pre-gangsta era to start getting into hiphop with if you like punk rock.

Jurassic 5 (Power in Numbers): These guys have all have outstanding flow.... they keep the lyrics dead on the beat, very quick, and pretty good rhymes. The lyrical content is not all that great, but it is upbeat: they rap about hiphop, their own skills, and touch on urban politics. Production is laid back but enjoyable, mostly based on soul and funk samples.

Gift of Gab / Blackalicious: Very laid back production, and some influences that are outside the usual. The lyrics are tame... similar to J5 topic-wise but Gift of Gab likes to use big words. He is a very talented rapper in terms of delivery, but does tend to get very monotonous at times.

(Deltron 3030): Interesting concept album. Certainly far outside the stereotypical boundaries of hiphop, both in terms of the beats and the lyrical content.

Bone Thugs 'n Harmony (E 1999 Eternal): OK, lyrically they are not very good, they are explicit gangsta, and their favorite topic is smoking weed. Their production is the typical 90s g-funk/synth. But if you can tolerate gangsta, they are worth mentioning, because the vocal delivery is above and beyond. I mean they were the best singing rappers (aside from Queen Latifah, I suppose), among the fastest rappers, had the tightest rhythms and the tightest harmonies... other than that nothing too special.

Eminem (Marshall Mathers, The Eminem Show): Very explicit, offensive, and violent lyrics, but not really gangsta or club. Straight beats, often hard rock influenced. Lyrics are often packed with complex rhymes, wordplay, subtle references, and double meanings. Who am I kidding?.. You've probably heard 10 Eminem singles already at some time or another. Unlike Bone Thugs, Eminem is only really worth it if you are willing to pay close attention to the lyrics, and having a twisted sense of humor certainly helps.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 41
I have to second some of the previous suggestions:
The Roots
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Mos Def
Public Enemy

Also check out:
AiM - Cold Water Music
Fugees - The Score

IMHO, these are real hip-hop, and not the commercial crap.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_45
Fugees - The Score

Shoot, it's true that nobody mentioned this yet. Great album with great music!

Aug 23, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 41
Anything by:
Ghostface Killa
Ol Dirty person
Busta Rhymes
A Tribe Called Quest
Gangstarr
Nice and Smooth
Raekwon
Wu-Tang Clan
De La Soul
Public Enemy
The Beatnuts
M.O.P. (hard but fun to listen too)
Eric B and Rakim
Dr. Dre
EPMD
Redman

1st Albums
NWA - gangsta but real not gangsta for the hell of it.
Big Pun - this guy had an amazing flow but some of it is tired drug tale stuff.
Snoop Dog - misogynistic but fun

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 41
Insane Clown Posse.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #29 of 41
Anyone heard the new DJ Z-Trip album? It's some good "hip-hop" if you want to call it that. More electronic beats with guest rappers, pretty good. A pretty funky song is The Get Down - DJ Z-Trip and it might not be "hip hop" by some of your guys standards but I tend to think of it as.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #30 of 41
Uuuuuumm yeah, you guys forgot something.

Souls of Mischief ('93 til infinity)
Heiroglyphics (3rd Eye vision)

Those two should keep you busy for quite a while.

'93 til infinity has been stuck in my CD tray since '93 and it may never come out. They could have sold that album with a money back guarantee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back