Hip-Hop / Funk
Jan 27, 2008 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tator

100+ Head-Fier
I've been in sort of a music rutt lately, not really listening to anything new. Hip-hop funk is always something that I've wanted to get into, but not sure where to start. Now there's some stuff I like, and a lot I don't. I feel (and this is just IMO), that a lot of stuff is just like this fairly generic beat, that just plays for 3 min while a guy just rhymes from start to finish. I'm really looking for more fresh/creative/original stuff. A great example of what I'm talking about is the Deltron 3030 album by Del the Funkee Homosapien. I also love the Gorillaz' Demon Days album. Any ideas?

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 5
2x on Stankonia and the Streets.

The Coup - Party Music
Mr. Lif - I Phantom
Buck 65 - Talkin' Honky Blues
Ghostface - Fishscale
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (the beats are unbelievable; sometimes the subject matter isn't)

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Madvillain - Madvillainy

Madvillain is Madlib producing and MF Doom on vocals. Madlib is one of the best producers out there right now. Very fresh. The record label he is on is called Stonesthrow Records, try checking out some stuff by them. Madlib does a lot of production for other MCs on the label.

Mr. Lif was also mentioned, and I totally second that. He is on El-P's record label, Def Jux or Definitive Jux. El-P is an amazing producer and quite a good vocalist as well.

Blu is some other artist I heard about, but the beats on his album have a lot of funk influence/sampling.

Some albums I would recommend hands down

Madvillain - Madvillainy [Stonesthrow]
Mr. Lif - I Phantom or Emergency Rations EP [Def Jux]
Cannibal Ox- The Cold Vein [Def Jux]
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back