Hip Hop Fans: Another solid album from PUTS
Apr 18, 2006 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
Just picked up People Under the Stairs "Stepfather" on my lunch break today. I am listening to it right now. Of course as I expected...PUTS did not disappoint. It is tough to follow up 'OST'...that album is in my top three favorite Hip Hop albums. There was 'Or Stay Tuned' but that was a teaser rather than a full album. Stepfather sounds like a solid album thus far (as I nod my head in my cubicle
icon10.gif
). I'd recommend Hip Hop Fans pick it up. If you've never heard of PUTS I would say start with OST...thats a must have for anyone who digs Hip Hop/Funk/Soul. For me PUTS are the probably the best out there right now...true to the roots of Hip Hop. These guys are about crate diggin and laid back beats...check it out.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Iv never heard of them. I listen to alot of hip hop, but never heard them. Who could you say that they sound like?

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 10
I found out about People Under the Stairs from a friend back in college when O.S.T came out in 2002. I can't really say they sound like anyone really. If I had to put it this way they are a culmination of the true/old school hip hop movement. Two turntables and a mike as the backbone with an mpc for production. They pull on alot of funk and jazz rythyms centered around a strong drum beat. Sometimes there is a latin flare from Thes One (he does most of the production) and Double K handles the cuts/tables. They both trade off on the mike in terms of vocals. Alot of the clips they sample are pull from albums you and I will never hear of and that's what I like about them.

I never really paid attention to the fact that they could be termed underground hip hop. They put to shame all the stuff you hear on the radio today imho. Then again that's why I can't stand the radio and barely listen to it.

If I could only recommend one album to all the hip hop fans on this forum it would be O.S.T.

Heres another reason...
I like to knock my sister for the crappy music she listens to...mostly pop, radio stuff. But when I drove her down to college and I had control of the stereo. I popped in O.S.T. and let it play all the way through...no complaints. She actually enjoyed it. In comparision to all the other "weird hip hop" I listen to.

Also, an exchange student from Germany who is a good friend of my sister's was in the car with us on another car trip. I played the album and he really liked it. He was into all the corporate/radio rap of the time and he had met some friends that exposed him to gangsta rap and the likes. He actually has the album now and still remarks as it being a great album he likes listening to.

This album transcends becuase it is good music. I am sure there are other underground masterpieces in many genres of music. For Hip Hop this is a true Gem.

Check out the measly 30 amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Anyways...Stepfather is solid. This is gonna be in my car deck for at least a week until I can soak it in.
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 10
PUTS has been recommended to me by Amazon before, and I have wanted check them out.

I really like Atmosphere, Mos Def, Kanye, The Roots, Sage Francis, and Aesop Rock. So I hope I can add them to my list.

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Tales Of Kidd Drunkadelic was a summer staple a few years ago with a few friends of mine ... smoking/drinking to that is a must ... but overall I never really got into them ... nothing really jumps out and keeps my attention for a whole albums worth ...

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
uhhh mega are they suppose to be talkin through this thing (the album that is)? What is going on? if so this album sucks (i'm lost/confused here)

That's alright man...I was looking through your music collection and can see why you probably won't get it. There is a fine line between rap and hip hop. But between Rap and True/Old school Hip Hop (Turntables, B-Boy, Grafitti, BEATS, etc.) which PUTS is all about...the line can be pretty thick. Of the Hip hop albums I see within the rap secton on your list...those are very forward and focus more on Rap than the Hip Hop culture.

I really a thrown off by your 'should they be talkin through this thing' question. But that pretty much what a 'rap' is. IMHO Rythmic commentary, er 'talkin in a rythmic pattern to complement the beat.'

BTW im 25...i'm just guess by your catalog that your ~20 (I may be wrong but my cousin who is 21 listens to alot of the same stuff). Most of which I don't get (the Rap that is).

Anyways...I can't please everybody. Heck I am 1 for 2 on recommendations I have read about here. Todd Rundgren - A true Wizard... (I liked). Dredg - El Cielo (could't really get into, the singer is boring). I did however recommend picking up OST if you've never heard PUTS. Stepfather starts off a bit differently.

Good luck with it...it may grow on you...or not
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 10
i know there is a fine line, no need for the lecture/explanation all my music isn't on that site btw and i know what rapping and macking are (rapping from the original wording basically means talk, i know this) i'm not as naive as you may think and age has nothing to do with this (no i'm not 20 or 21 either)...i was just a bit confused because i acquired it differently, therefore i thought it might have been sabotaged or something, but apparently that's not the case lol
tongue.gif
btw this kinda reminds me a little bit of The Last Poets the "rapping/talk" style (and somewhat like what spoken word is today without direct emphasis on poetry per se...more like a narrative tale) i'm sure you've heard of them right?

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 10
The last poets...heard of them...but I can't identify anything they have done.

Anyways...I am not concerned with lyric ballad...there are other rappers I respect for that, Del, MF-Doom, J-Live, Murs. Hip hop is about the BEATS for me...head noddin music. PUTS brings the Funk, Jazz, and old school style with over the top production that makes their songs awesome. As far as the production and beats go...I think they are on top. The lyrics are the last thing I listen to...and for PUTS their lyrical style works well. Some people may like it and some not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back