Hip Hop cans
May 6, 2003 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ScottyP431

New Head-Fier
Im looking to get some decent phones to listen to predominantly hip hop/rap music on a mini disc player/my laptop. Friends have suggested 280 pros, MDR cd3000's and 2000's, and 250-80's, what do yall think? also what are your thoughts on headphone amps, ive never actually known anyone who had one so i have no clue

thanks

May 6, 2003 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 26
first: welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet, blah blah blah..
second: search please
third: we need a price range..the phones you listed range from $80-$400, kinda need to narrow it down a bit there...

Otherwise if you need a quick solution without worry about an amp, go for the Sony V6/7506 (not the v600)..where to buy it? search and you'll find many results on that topic too.

May 6, 2003 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 26
For Hip hop the V700s best in class
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 26
Ideally id like to spend under 200 for the whatever i get (whether it just be phones or phones + amp) but if there was some major reason to spend a little more id be willing to do it.

Ive heard good things about the sony V6 and 700 Dj from friends, but other people on these kind of boards seem to think they are not so hot.

May 6, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 26
Actually its the v700 they hate here. There are quite a few v6/7506 lovers here. Just keep in mind these are NOT the same as the v600.

May 6, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 26
I'm an avid listener of quality hip-hop and I like to use Beyerdynamic DT-250-250, you don't need an amp. If you want heavier bass with less clarity, that would be the DT-250-80.

May 7, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 26
as far as hip hop goes ive found several cans that seem to work well with it. for portability the porta pros bass really compliments things like blackalicious astonishingly well. Moving up in price range to say 70$ the V6 are good. the bass is really fun and quick but i still have issues with the voices being a bit sunken back. As you move up cans become more polarized as to whether they sound sharp with hip hop or not. I really like my er4s for the most part but those really do need an amp for max bass fun. Anyhow to be perfectly honest if you arent doing anylitical listening and dont want an amp and dont need isolation i really do recommend the porta pros they are fun and jaunty and carry tunes well. V6s are also good if most of the stuff you listen to isnt underproduced. Aslo grado 60s were good but needed a taaad more bass extension. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back