Hip-hop and the musical safe zone
Jul 24, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #91 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
I completely agree. If someone is having trouble getting into hip-hop, just throw on some Phil Collins and Cake.

That is hilarious.
biggrin.gif

I listened to those tracks that were offered in this thread, but somehow I just can't get myself to like those.

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #92 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I listened to those tracks that were offered in this thread, but somehow I just can't get myself to like those.

Is the mediocre recording and mastering quality (digital clipping included at no extra costs) intentional or just careless?
I mean, those guys could surely afford professional sound engineers.
Is this supposed to convey the original ghetto flair or why?

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #93 of 100
If I remember right, the Nas and the Jay-Z have a pretty flat sound but they're not at a ridiculous level. Those were released in the mid-90's, back when engineers throwing on copious amounts of compression wasn't really as much of a problem.

The Biggie track was first released in 1993 but that version was taken from the "remastered" reissue from last year. In this case, "remastered" means they compressed the hell of it and boosted the low end. It's BS and I've considered selling it and picking up the '93 original but that means I lose the bonus tracks and extra DVD crap.

Coincidentally, Nas' Illmatic was also given the remastering and expanding treatment last year but I just have the standard issue of that one. I checked out some samples from the new one on iTunes and sure enough, compression and bass boost.

As for recording quality, it can be spotty but so can all rock and pop music. And in the case of Jay-Z (the worst-recorded track of the bunch by far), that was from his first solo album which was recorded before he had a major label contract, if I understand it right.

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #95 of 100
Give it to them factor! Factor is right about the mastering on those discs. The only artists who was consistently clipping back in the days was EPMD. When I listen to my hip hop mixes from back in the day everything is actually pretty low until EPMD comes along and blasts my eardrums. Arrested Development? OK. 1 album and then where do they go from there?

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #96 of 100
start with some nerd rap or old school stuff like Oganize Konfusion, Or Troubleneck brothers pharcyde, J5, Roots all are nice hiphop that dont sound like the **** on MTV talking about getting crunk and ****.

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #97 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl

That said, I think rap has built-in to it some things that will not stand it in good stead over time. Rap eats its own and discards it's "stars" after one or two hits and then moves on to the next thing. Very few rap artists have been able to rise above and simply *last*. Out of all that music, you can count them on both hands. No one gets to have a "career" in rap. This makes it a lot like disco, which was also a producer-driven form of music with disposable "stars" with the hit of the week. Nowadays, disco is best enjoyed either ironically by younger people (it's still a lot of fun), or nostalgically by Volvo-driving soccer Moms who were there the first time.

Rap relies very heavily on slang terms and street speech and slang terms have a shelf-life that instantly dates the song. It's all "23-skidoo" eventually. Hard to relate to without giggling. "Gee grampa, did you *really* think this was *cool*?
tongue.gif
Also, rap music likes to name-check brands and current fashions. Today's Gucci and Prada are tomorrows Todd Oldham sold at K-Mart. Or just plain gone. Who's going to want to hear a song about "my Adidas" or your bangin' new Escalade in the year 2060? It would be like hearing a song from the 20's about the singer's hot new Model A. It sounds quaint and silly over time. Rap concerns itself way too much with contemporary pop culture references that are destined to be meaningless. Where a form like the blues, it's all general stuff about life, stuff that's eternal, so you can still listen to it hundreds of years later and still relate.

No one can "cover" these songs. They'll never end up as standards or classics. They're all way too specific to the artist that is rapping them, because he raps about himself, his specific environment, possessions, friends, etc.

All the big names in rap (such as they are) realize that rap music is like Logan's Run-- once you hit 30 it's all over. I mean, do you *really* see Eminem fat and bald at 50 rapping his hits about his Mom, or Ass Like That? (Ass Like That, for example has references to modern stars he's lusting after, eventually they're all Shelly Winters, Doris Day, Annette Funicello, and it will just be GROSS
biggrin.gif
). How silly will that be? Jay-Z gets it, rap's a young man's game, that's why he's getting out. It's not the most mature form of music on the block, it's subject matter is often extremely juvenile, puerile, focusing on hustling, partying, thugging and getting some booty. People get older and their concerns change, but rap will remain frozen in place, eventually it will stop speaking to its audience and they'll move on. After a while, today's rappers will just look silly rapping that stuff. Although they said that about rock 'n roll, too, so we'll see.

Anyway, I see rap as being a lot like Disco. It will be forever locked into a certain place and time, later to be enjoyed ironically (or as a guilty pleasure)by younger people, and nostalgically by the people buying it today. I think it has too many limitations for much of it to really stand the test of time.

But who knows...
confused.gif

Well I dont really agree with rap dating itself more than another genre, I mean Im sure everyone's heard

"And we'll have fun fun fun til her daddy takes the t-bird away"

T-birds arent exactly the greatest car now, but Fun, Fun, Fun is one of the more recognizable songs from the 20th century and the Beach Boys are pretty cemented in American culture. All popular music takes elements from pop culture by its nature, that doesnt dictate wether it stands the test of time.

As for having a career in rap, do you even know the genre? Serious question, there are ALOT of people making careers in HipHop, JayZ(he's not getting out of the game at all btw) Nas, KRS-One, LL Cool J, Master P, Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Wu-Tang(most of those guys are still going) those are all guys with 10+ years or so. Also keep in mind, Eminem is approaching his mid 30's. Dre is 40 or so. Master P's KID is almost 18.

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #98 of 100
Listen to Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth(album) for some example of what can be done with Hip Hop.

Actually since people probably want a bottom line, get these 3 albums:

Atmosphere - Seven Travels
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth

more off kilter recommendations

Jedi Mind Tricks
Immortal Technique
Eyedea & DJ Abilities
Atmosphere
MF Doom, Viktor Vaughn, Madvillian
Dialated Peoples
Eric B and Rakim
7L and Esoteric
Mr Lif
El-P
Cage
Jakki tha Motamouth
Copywrite
Cannibal Ox
Deltron 3030
Del tha funkee Homosapien
Blackalicious
Cunninlynguists
Pharoahe Monch
Eternal Reflection

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #100 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrXpress
. If you've listened to rap groups like The Roots, Foreign Exchange, K-Os, Wyclef, Common's non-Be albums, GZA, Jurassic 5 (and please say if you have, it'd be interesting to see the comments about them)..

listened to all of them and ihave to say that this is the kiond of hip-hop more people should be exposed to, especailly the roots, as they are a real band complete with their own instruments.

Foriegn exchange is an excpetioanlly good album... it was created purely through ther internet and the mebers have never met face to face. the rappers big pooh and phonte are part of anotehr rap groups, little brother. while nicolay, the produycer is located in Dutch.

K-os amazing candian artist. his last album joyful rebellion probab ly has never reciaved a bad review from any source. and he brings more then just rap as he is often singing and playing hsi guitar

other artists that shoulf be mentioned are blackalicious and wordsworth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bionic Gecko
Eternal Reflection

i believe you mean reflection eternal (talib kweli and dj hi-tek)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back