Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Nov 18, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #256 of 448
^Chicago, IL...reporting for duty...
...Atmosphere's stance is slightly above indie, especially amongst skaters and gamers, and their girlfriends/ex's. 993/1000 black/hispanic Americans of the hip-hop generation have never heard of Atmosphere.
I haven't really checked for anything since "Flesh" tbh, although Flesh, Bass&Movement, and God's Bathroom floor/scapegoat have all gotten heavy rotation in the past. Maybe I'll DL Lemons/paint gold.

Finally found a thread outside of "Headphones[full-size]" forum.
Bookmarked, and will read the thread.
Here's some treats:
zSHARE - Lord Finesse - Underworld Operations _Ins.mp3
Brainstorm blend:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5151472361a2ec8a/
Peace.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #257 of 448
I'd agree w/alpha80 that Atmosphere is breaking out of that indie tag. I think it's the mainstream hip hop gen that doesn't know much about him. I don't think color is necessarily the main roadblock. They're too busy listening to the same stuff on the radio & tv. There are "underground/indie" artist of all colors and both genders that are heavily slept on. At the same time, I'm surprised b/c the internet has become such a valuable tool for lesser known artists. It's the only way I discover new artists & keep up w/what's goin on.

On another note, has anyone been to this site? Red Bull Music Academy
They invite artists, producers, etc. to give a "lecture" on music from their point of view. They've got artists from all genres and walks of life. For hip hop heads there are videos from:

Bun B
Black Milk
Just Blaze
Nottz
DJ Toomp
Phonte
?uestlove

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #258 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by xz123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, as there are some "Americans" in here:
How known is Atmosphere in the US? Cause I always hear it's "Indie", but then it seems they had some chart appearances already

Oh, and by the way: Atmosphere and Looptroop Rockers are probably the two I like most out of those that might be known anywhere else in the world but in Germany
wink.gif

I dislike Atmosphere. I find his lyrics and overall sound to be boring.

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #259 of 448
Thanks for the answers.

@Calexico
Well, I think it's a good thing that there are different kinds of taste.
Still I can slightly understand, I too did need some time to get used to Atmosphere, but find it everything but boring :)

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #260 of 448
yeah i certainly wouldn't describe atmosphere as boring. we all have our quirks and put offs though. i personally find most modern mainstream hip hop to be lifeless and boring. that's just my take.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #263 of 448
Dawg, I just started listening to some The Roots on youtube.. Black Though is ill. I need to go get some albums. Where should I start guys? Things Fall apart? I don't know why I never gave The Roots a chance before... I blame my roomate actually.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #264 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dawg, I just started listening to some The Roots on youtube.. Black Though is ill. I need to go get some albums. Where should I start guys? Things Fall apart? I don't know why I never gave The Roots a chance before... I blame my roomate actually.

Yeah, Black Thought is waayyyy underrated. Do you know what you heard? Most folks like Things Fall Apart, but I tend to think Phrenology is when the Roots finally became true album artists. You can also try the two Beginners' Guide To… compilations. They're really strong, and ?uestlove's liner notes are priceless.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #265 of 448
Well, like I said I was on youtube. The first was a freestyle with a white guy taggin in the background and ?uestlove beat boxin. That freestyle was illy. And then I heard one of the singles off Things Fall Apart. Not clones but... what they do (I had to go check). So you wouldn't recommend startin with things fall apart? I like old school Com, Mos etc.. so i'm lookin for that sort of style, which is what I heard on the freestyle. check it out

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #266 of 448
Quote:

Black Thought is ridiculous! I would start with Things Fall Apart or Illadelph Halflife. You can play them for your roomate too! The new album Rising Down is pretty good too especially 75 Bars, Get Busy and the title track. Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #267 of 448
Quote:

Well, like I said I was on youtube. The first was a freestyle with a white guy taggin in the background and ?uestlove beat boxin. That freestyle was illy. And then I heard one of the singles off Things Fall Apart. Not clones but... what they do (I had to go check). So you wouldn't recommend startin with things fall apart? I like old school Com, Mos etc.. so i'm lookin for that sort of style, which is what I heard on the freestyle. check it out

What they do and Clones is on Illadelph Halflife. Check Common on the track Universe at War. Sounds like you should start there and work your way forward or backwards if you like.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #269 of 448
Any Nappy Roots fans here? I've only heard "The Humdinger," but it's some of the chillest rap there is. Perfect for lazy Sundays.

The Coup too. Great rappers, amazing flows, definitely a must listen to.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #270 of 448
yeahh!!! i'm a huge nappy roots fan. i don't like most southern stuff, but nappy roots, absolutely. Good call. my friend loves the coup also. From nappy roots everyone knows po folks but the b side single (i think) was aw naw which was great too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back