Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Sep 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #167 of 448
lol, fourth straight run-through of Graduation. I dunno, sometimes I just get hit by certain CDs and it happens... It happened with Norah Jones a while back, listened to all three of her albums like 3 times in a row :-D. Its also happened with certain songs. I've mentioned this on this thread before, but didn't get much of a reply. You guys know that Talib Kweli song For Women? Its the last track on Reflection Eternal, kinda hidden after the Outro. That song is so phat. I've listened to it like 7 times straight before.

And don't get the impression that I'm some sort of crazy guy who listens to the same albums over and over and over.... Just sometimes, you hear or see or smell something that brings back a memory, and you remember some song or album that had that same effect, and you just wanna feel that again, ya know? Maybe its me...

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #168 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by gv1256 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sahwnfras dont pretend that you know rap or hiphop if you really think that lil wayne is a good rapper.. please dont tell me he is the greatest rapper alive

Now i never said greastest alive, just at the moment. I mean the golden era aint dead yet, hell KRS still putting out albums every year. But at the moment he is the greatest, you cant deny it. His music is good, he goes hard and has impecable flow. He can switch his style in the middle of a rhyme, and his meatphors and similes are slick as hell. As iv said hes not political, and all he really says is hes the best and hell kill you.. but with the hardest bars, and sickest flow.

Yes there is the guys like Immortal Technique (btw dope as new album), Sean P, Jedi Mind Tricks, and all those other undgerground cats. But really i cant bump them on the regular they arnt fun to listen to all the time. Those guys dont have the best flow and they are to rough on the mic. I still think there great artist but just can listen to them regularly.

For Some Hot Track To Check:
Let The Beat Bulid - a couple mixes out with verses from Fabolous, Lil Wayne, & Freeway, any mix you download is dope, dope beat and they all kill the track.
YouTube - Lil Wayne feat. Fabolous - Let The Money Build (Remix)
They call is let the money build

Paper Planes- Also some differnt mixes out, but awsome beat the one from pinapple express. Verses from Freeway, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, Trizz, MIA, Young Jeezy, & Bun B. Just a hot track listen to it.
YouTube - M.I.A. - Paper Planes REMIX

And heres my favorite rapper of 2008-not lil wayne lol
YouTube - Asher Roth's Roth Boys Video

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #169 of 448
M.I.A.'s "paper planes" is indeed an awesome track. i love songs with gun sounds in them though. always have. i know i am strange but i like grimy hip hop and "paper planes" has that feel. M.I.A is the only part of the english grme scene that i like. i am not a fan of the streets or dizzie rascal. even M.I.A. can only be taken when i am in the right mood for her.

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #170 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i never said greastest alive, just at the moment. I mean the golden era aint dead yet, hell KRS still putting out albums every year. But at the moment he is the greatest, you cant deny it. His music is good, he goes hard and has impecable flow. He can switch his style in the middle of a rhyme, and his meatphors and similes are slick as hell. As iv said hes not political, and all he really says is hes the best and hell kill you.. but with the hardest bars, and sickest flow.

Um, of course someone can deny that Wayne is the greatest at the moment, it's just your opinion.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #171 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, of course someone can deny that Wayne is the greatest at the moment, it's just your opinion.

Na i really dont think so. I really dont think there is a rapper out there that could really take on Wayne if they tried. If they did he would have a mixtape destroying that rappers career done in about 2 days lol, the guy works hard and is dedicated. And yes i said destroy a career, like 50 with Ja. When you have that much popularity and appeal and you attack someone, everyone with and person attacks them to if ya know what i mean.

Hip Hop is a competition to be on top (or atleast should be i know some rappers are lazy), but really thats the way it started. Its always been a battle to the top, thats the essence in Hip Hop, no other genre has a compeition like Hip Hop.

Also yes this is my opinion, and you have your opinion. Music is all about opinions, but if you want facts and statistics your no name rappers suck in that catagory, so dont say that. This whole conversation should be opinion its music, and opinion can stir up controversy.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #172 of 448
life is all about opinions. everyone has one. that's how it should be. life would be boring if everyone thought the same.

i think that ghostface's current output is still better than lil wayne but this of course my opinion.

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #173 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
life is all about opinions. everyone has one. that's how it should be. life would be boring if everyone thought the same.

i think that ghostface's current output is still better than lil wayne but this of course my opinion.

Yes, Ghostface has been killin it latly. Outta anyone from the Wu he is hittin the hardest now. His last couple albums Fishscale, More Fish and have been really hot. And he put out a couple dope mixtapes also, havnt heard anything in the last 6 months maybe hes takin a bit of a break.

See i like it when some one says something other than he sucks.

O ya and Raekwons new album is comin out soon that should be dope.

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #174 of 448
Quote:

Yes, Ghostface has been killin it latly. Outta anyone from the Wu he is hittin the hardest now. His last couple albums Fishscale, More Fish and have been really hot. And he put out a couple dope mixtapes also, havnt heard anything in the last 6 months maybe hes takin a bit of a break.

i cannot wait for it!!!(is it cuban linx 2 youre talkin about?)

and on the ghostface note, I'm still anticipating his mash up with MF DOOM on swift and changeable.

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #175 of 448
Quote:

We can only hope Rae's next album is good. His last few were terrible. Only Ghost seems to have any pride left in the clan to put out quality. On the Lil' Wayne topic I see stirring, don't believe the hype as Public Enemy said. Weezy is at the top right now I will give you that but that doesn't mean he is the greatest right now. I find his flow and lyrics very inconsistent. He does have some good ideas however and you can tell he puts in effort but I still cannot label him the best right now. I said the same thing about 50 when he was riding high a little while back. When the hype dies down you will not be enjoying the album the same as you are now when it is fresh. He is in the same pool as Master P, Ja Rule, 50 but nowhere close to Nas, Biggie, Pac, Jay-Z when they were at the top. Marketing plays a larger factor now over skill. Poor Mobb Deep decided to join G unit because of this ridiculous trend. I can tell by your posts you know your Hip Hop, I just think the hype machine's flashing lights is blinding you a bit.
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #176 of 448
Quote:

Na i really dont think so. I really dont think there is a rapper out there that could really take on Wayne if they tried. If they did he would have a mixtape destroying that rappers career done in about 2 days lol, the guy works hard and is dedicated. And yes i said destroy a career, like 50 with Ja. When you have that much popularity and appeal and you attack someone, everyone with and person attacks them to if ya know what i mean.

Hip Hop is a competition to be on top (or atleast should be i know some rappers are lazy), but really thats the way it started. Its always been a battle to the top, thats the essence in Hip Hop, no other genre has a compeition like Hip Hop.

Also yes this is my opinion, and you have your opinion. Music is all about opinions, but if you want facts and statistics your no name rappers suck in that catagory, so dont say that. This whole conversation should be opinion its music, and opinion can stir up controversy.

If we were talking about a real battle, someone like Supernatural would wipe the floor with Lil Wayne, but I wouldn't even call Supernatural a good rapper outside of a battle. A beef isn't a real battle, it's mostly a popularity contest, so yeah, he probably could make a mixtape and destroy most careers, but I don't think that makes him the greatest. I don't think being the greatest can be boiled down to something like that.

If we were talking about the best out now, which I see as a totally qualitative issue, then yeah, I might pick a no name rapper, but I agree for greatness there is more than a no name rapper can claim to posses. When speaking of great, I think skill on the mic, lyricism, creativity, music quality, influence, impact, longevity, those are the things that make greatness, so I certainly wasn't thinking of some no name rapper, in fact I would name Nas as the greatest rapper.

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #177 of 448
Quote:

in fact I would name Nas as the greatest rapper.

Per your criteria, I'd have to agree wit Nas or Jay-z....Or Pac or Biggie. Lol. IMO these are the only guys thave have great skill on the mic with quality music, a large influence, AND whos music lasts. Setting some of those aside you find youself listening to Talib, Mos Def, Big L....Damn, I can't believe no one's mentioned Big L. Haha, this has to be one of the greatest lines ever, really: " they said a real man won’t hit a girl/ well I ain’t real cause I beat bitches up." Haha.

On a bit of a side note, heres one reason why I love headfi: This is the 18th page of a pretty controversial issue (new vs old school hip/hop etc...) but it hasn't turned into a flame war. I like to beleive that this is because despite the fact that we all have differing opinions, in the end we're all plenty happy b/c we're listening to whatever we feel is the "good" stuff through a quality rig that makes us musically happy. :-D I, at least, have been mostly posting while listening to my Livewires or SR60s (my livewires have gone in for a re-casing) through my Cowon D2, and I haven't gotten into a bad mood yet. Gotta love it, right?

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #179 of 448
Quote:

I really dont think there is a rapper out there that could really take on Wayne if they tried. If they did he would have a mixtape destroying that rappers career done in about 2 days

Sorry if this is a little harsh, but one thing that really gets to me is people saying lil wayne is the best rapper alive. His flow is garbage, his lyrics make no sense, and his voice is terrible. He raps about absolutely nothing. And just because someone is "dedicated" to making music does not make them good. In fact, if wayne is constantly putting out music it's almost impossible for it all to be good. Listen to just the first track off of Nas's new album and try to say that wayne is better with a straight face. Nas would destroy him and so would Jay (actually, Jay does murder him on Mr. Carter). This has probably been mentioned before, but sales are no indication of talent. I think Jay said it best: "If skills sold, truth be told, I'd prolly be, lyrically, Talib Kweli."

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #180 of 448
Dawg i'm listening to the Lost Tapes now...I wouldn't say fire cuz its so mellow, but its definitely like an incence stick flame-wise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back