Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Sep 19, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #136 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I thought my list kind of had it all. Well, all as in all different songs. You really didn't like any of those? Maybe this genre just isn't for you?

Wow that was about the most narrow minded comment ever.. and your a hip hopper.

This is what i was talking about some people are stuck in the old school and thats all. I have to problem with that, but dont put people down because they dont like the old school sound. New school hip hop is dope as i have said, hip hop is always changing and there are so many varieties of it. So if you dont like the old school dont worry there is so much more out there.

People think the new hip hop is all waterdown ******** pretty much. But they just are usually stuck in the past. Yes there is alot of crap out now but thats what happens when it becomes so popular.

I wont put a dumb list on here, i say discover it for yourself dont let people tell you what to like. I do like most of the reccomendations though.

PS: Line of the day - "you know the world gone mad when blacks wear plaid and mariah has married nick cannon, or when when a boy from the burbs has the nerves to converge on a mixtape with dj cannon" Asher Roth - Cannon

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #137 of 448
Nah, that's not it. I am no hiphopper by any means but the list I gave were songs I 'started' with and I think they are all different from eachother, therefore perfect for someone who wants to hear some hiphop/rap. But, as always IMO and YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #139 of 448
Im stuck in the old school yea. but i like some newer stuff too. one thing I can say is I'm not feelin these guys new flow. Can't say much about the game other than The Documentary was good sans name dropping as much haha. Beats were on point on that one. Kanye's flow is a hit or miss with me. I do not like autotune. I like Lupe.

Other than that i find I like most/all hip hop.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #140 of 448
I HATE AUTOTUNE!!! The first couple of times I heard it i was kind of cool to use the Cher trick but now everybody is using the stupid thing. How about trying to be different? It is now annoying! Singers who use it all the time should be embarrassed! (let me get off my soapbox now)
Some new stuff is good but as a previous post mentioned because it is now so popular and bringing in so much money you have to go through a lot of garbage to find the gems. Once you know where the gems are, they become easier to find.

I HATE AUTOTUNE!! Oh did I say that already?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #141 of 448
Quote:

i wouldn't say that new hip hop is completely watered down.

it depends where you look. i think mainstream hip hop is extremely watered down. i no longer listen to the radio, but can you even consider nas to be mainstream? anything more popular than nas is pretty much garbage in my opinion. what does everyone think about lil wayne? personally i think he's one of the worst rappers i've ever heard and the fact that he calls himself the greatest rapper alive is a joke.

sorry if any of this has already been mentioned.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #142 of 448
^
yeah i agree that modern mainstream hip hop is pretty much horrible. that being said, i feel that way about all modern mainstream. this is not just isolated to hip hop, but you have a very valid point.

as far as lil wayne goes, i consider most of his stuff to be garbage with one lone exception. i enjoy da drought 3. it is a mix tape though so i am not sure if it counts as him or not really.

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #143 of 448
I'd like to say that I don't have anything against mainstream, I just don't like anything from it really. Though I will concede that mainstream can be good. Outkast can be considered mainstream and I like em alot. Jay-z's Blueprint got radio attention alot and many consider it a classic.

What were saying is that mainstream today doesn't have anything to offer. When I turn on the radio I get lil wayne, and I don't like his beats or his flow (i cant understand anything hes sayin). I dont even know what his real voice sounds like. I get flow rida, tho his songs are catchy even if not intellectually stimulating. I don't like T.I. I dont Like T-Pain.

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #144 of 448
Had 5 minutes of free time today and youtubed some Pharaone Monch. Not sure if it's spelled correctly and also unsure about his music. Didn't sound too bad imo and I'll think I'll give him a try. Anyone else knows his work?

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #145 of 448
Pharoahe Monch will blow your mind away with his skills on the mic. I think because his flow and wordplay are so advanced it hurts his popularity. His last album 'Desire' was slept on by most. It was pretty good but most prefer his earlier work 'Internal Affairs' highlighted by the classic track "Simon Says". Enjoy!

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #147 of 448
Yes Desire is one of my most favorite albums, i like that one better than internal affairs. Easily the most slept on album of 07.

I see ppl hatin on Wayne, heres what i have to say. There is no rapper out there now that is more dedicated to hip hop than Lil Wayne. Hes just havin fun with it at this point. Yes he dosent say anthing meaningful in his raps like dead prez or KRS. But he just brings it back to the days when it was im the best and you suck, thats whats hes about. he says he is the greatest rapper alive and no one is really challenging him. All he does is work, he has put out more music in the last 4 years than most artists will in their whole careers.

And i just noticed tht Immortals new album has came out. Anyone heard it? i gotta go get this one.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #148 of 448
I just wanted to say that no one is hatin on wayne (at least I'm not). Rather I just don't like his style. Sure hes dedicated to hip hop but, that alone won't make me like him. Seeing as how my only exposure to wheezy has been songs off the carter III, I wonder if you can make any suggestions to his older albums that would help me ease into his style.

I usually give all artists a few spins before they go onto the ignore list. Who knows maybe I end up liking him as much as the million people who got his album in the 1st week it released.

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #149 of 448
^not to be that hater but the masses is not the best indicator of what is good. having patience with music is good but in the end always trust your ears alone. to appeal to 'everyone' and the radio, most artists compromise artistic integrity.

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #150 of 448
so i was browsing the music forum and came upon a thread asking what is the worst song you have ever heard...and one of the responses was Quote:

Pretty much the newest rap song will take the top spot until the next one is released on the airwaves.

it really pisses me off when i hear things like this. i feel like hip hop is extremely disrespected in this country by the general public...whether it be bashing the genre for its "violent" lyrics or dismissing it as not being real music. the good thing, is that when i listen to hip hop, it becomes clear that those making the music are 10 times smarter than those who bash it. it's some of the most creative music out there and nothing is better than a great rap album in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back