Hilary Hahn: Higdon & Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos
Sep 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 7
I would love to hear your feedback on her tchaikovsky because tbh, I'm a bit dubious. She can be so meek with her playing and tchaikovsky just destroys you if you don't commit.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 7
I just got my copy of the new album.
I have only had time to listen to it once so I am still forming my opinions.
Here are my early thoughts:

On the Higdon: It is a modern (Pulitzer prize wining) classical work which I find it much more accessible than many 20th century compositions.  This work may be too far off the beaten path for traditionalists.  It is certainly interesting and intricate.  This makes it a good match for Hahn's playing.  I will need to listen to it through a few more times until I decide whether it will continue to hold my interest or is just a passing curiosity.

On the Tchaikovsky:  Hahn has chosen to play the original score (i.e. without the edits introduced by Leopold Auer), so this version may be a bit different than the version with which many people are familiar. So far my impressions are that this interpretation is consistent Hilary Hahn.  If you enjoy hearing challenging works played masterfully and with subtle nuance, you will likely enjoy this performance.  This is a very different performance than the Heifetz, (which I consider brilliant).  I am quite happy to have both on my shelf.

In the interests of full disclosure, I count myself amongst the Hilary Hahn fans.  I can, however, understand why some people do not find her interpretations to be their cup of tea.  I plan to hear her live in concert in a couple of days and will try to remember to post my impressions.

National Public Radio (NPR) had some recent interesting interviews:
Hilary talks about the new album: 8min 20sec
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2010/09/22/130047949/hilary-hahn-talks-to-all-things-considered-s-robert-siegel

Higdon and Hahn talk about the new album : 50min 35sec
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2010/09/20/129988957/hilary-hahn-and-jennifer-higdon-live-chat-today-at-noon-est

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 7
While I find Hahn interesting, I only come away with one word to describe her playing: sweet. Everything sounds as if it's covered in syrup. It isn't daring or emotional, just mechanical with the slightest bit of nuance. Facial expressions aside I find Vengerov to be a more rewarding living experience.

Heifetz of course can never be touched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back