Hijacking I2S to make a high end PC digital transport.
Jun 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #16 of 20
It has something to do with resolution. A 24/96 signal can end up having a lower noise floor which somehow correlates to an implied higher resolution. This is a good reminder for me to read up and understand this better! A good place to research this would be at audiocircle.com. Steve has an Empirical Audio forum out there and I'm sure he has discussed this. If not, we should ask!

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said, there is obviously a USB interface as from what I can see the 4392 doesn't support direct connection to USB. So there would be an IC handling that for the 4392.

Ok, I just assumed some things; not knowing of any other way it could have been done. I assumed that it went... PC >> USB >> USB interface chip >> I2S >> DAC (CS4392). If it is like that, then seems to me that you could tap that I2S line to feed into another DAC.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starting with the PCI interface (unless you want to take my advice and finally code some proper USB audio drivers), it's easier to build off the Envy24.

Proper USB audio drivers would be really great. I'm never going to be the one that can write the proper firmware tho
frown.gif
. As cobaltmute already posted, that last one is rather impressive... "TAS1020B Async USB mode OSC to MCLKi port generating I2S output: 73.2ps".

Anyway, if going down the Juli@ route, it would probably be a lot easier and possibly work better since I noticed Juli@ can sync to an external clock. FallenAngel, have you tried this or seen anyone doing this? Somthing like this arangement...

diginterf_clkbk.jpg

I think you can feed the clock into the Juli@ SPDIF input. Maybe direct wiring to PCB to bypass SPDIF reciever would be better?

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I just assumed some things; not knowing of any other way it could have been done. I assumed that it went... PC >> USB >> USB interface chip >> I2S >> DAC (CS4392). If it is like that, then seems to me that you could tap that I2S line to feed into another DAC.

Well that's how I would assume it works too, except:

PC >> USB >> USB interface chip >> I2S ??? >> DAC (CS4392)

As I've said, it may be I2S on the 0202... might not be.

Either way the DAC is irrelevant as you're tapping off before it, maybe find out what the USB interface IC is, that way you can either diy something based around that IC or mod something that already uses it, assuming it ouputs in I2S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back