Highly praised budget parts coming together.
Nov 4, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 23
For music, no question, the Dickason. For Home Theater ONLY I would go for the SVS, and only in that situation. For your bedroom system, my reccomendation is the definitely the Dickason.

Nov 7, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #17 of 23
I can tell you that the Atoms are a very good match for the Class-T part. The Atoms' efficiency is such that you will to fill an average sized room with sound. The Tripath amp has a low output impedance and can deliver high instantaneous current levels (6-7 Amps), so bass is full and well-controlled.

I don't have an SI amp, but I can tell you that AA batteries are not going to show the Tripath part at it's best. Get a 13.2 V gel cell and wire it in in place of the AA's and you will be pleased.

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #18 of 23
For all their raving about the Atom's bass, you must realise that physics rules all. Just hope that you don't encounter a midbass "gap" where the atom's stop and the sub starts, because you're matching quite a big sub, with quite small speakers.
I'd move some money from the sub to the speakers myself, but that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks good so far
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 23
A 4 to 5" woofer shouldn't have trouble getting down to 80hz provided you have a good amp.

Nov 8, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
A 4 to 5" woofer shouldn't have trouble getting down to 80hz provided you have a good amp.

I suppose if you position them right it shouldn't be a problem, but i'd still be worried about either there being a hole, or the sub playing too far up to compensate.
EDIT: Just had a squiz at your amp - 5watt into 8 ohm
confused.gif
I really do think you need to move some money over to the Amp/Speaker section from the subwoofer section now - even if you weren't trying to spend much, i still reckon it'd be a good idea.

Nov 8, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 23
I wouldn't move any money out of the sub. Any cheaper and you don't get something good, and you'll be tempted to upgrade. The Atoms are fine for crossing with a sub.

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #22 of 23
Agree with wodgy. Any lower than the Dayton/appropriate alternatives and you'll take a big hit on sound quality.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
I can tell you that the Atoms are a very good match for the Class-T part. The Atoms' efficiency is such that you will to fill an average sized room with sound. The Tripath amp has a low output impedance and can deliver high instantaneous current levels (6-7 Amps), so bass is full and well-controlled.

I don't have an SI amp, but I can tell you that AA batteries are not going to show the Tripath part at it's best. Get a 13.2 V gel cell and wire it in in place of the AA's and you will be pleased.

I have a 13.8V Astron linear power supply (4A-6A) on its way. As for there being a possible mid-bass gap, I am not planning massive SPL's, only nice, full sound in a ~13' x 15' bedroom. Paradigm actually recommends their ported 10" sub as a match for the Atoms, and the pair has received at least one good review that I've found so far, so changing to a better, tighter 10" like the Dickason should hopefully just be better. Again, I'm not planning an ear-bleeding Metallica concert in my bedroom, mostly jazz, classical, pop, etc.

Worst case scenario--I move the Atoms to rear channel, get a Panasonic digital amp and a pair of Magnepan MMG's for the front channel. That's actually the eventual plan anyway. This early plan is more of an experiment to see if I can get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back