Highest Isolating Headphones
Feb 10, 2017 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

malifact

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am a long-term IEM user who is looking to get my first pair of headphones. They will be used for commuting or listening to music when my neighbours start fighting (which is very often unfortunately). I am looking for something that has the best passive noise isolation available as I listen to music at a rather low volume. I've looked at these, but I'm not sure whether they are any good:

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/passive-noise-isolation-hearing-protection-headphones/home-products/serenity-ii-headphones/

In terms of sound signature, I generally prefer something quite W shaped. So slightly boosted bass and treble, but vocals not recessed.  However, isolation is the priority and so I am willing to be flexible on sound signature. Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 3
Beyerdynamic DT770M should isolate lots. They're basically made for drummers, because of this feature. I have the standard DT770 80 ohm and they isolate very well too. DT770's have extra energy in the lows and highs, they just might fit your bill. They are very large though, some might see this as a negative when commuting.

Sennheiser HD-25 has very nice isolation too. They are basically the standard for live broadcasting and have a pretty flat frequency range (with some mid-bass boost). I had these for a few years as my go-to portable - it was basically the utilitarian & plasticky looks and zero soundstage that got them sold.

For very good iso, I'd look at active canceling too. Bose QC-25, 30 and Sony X1000 come to mind as the probable leaders of the pack at the moment.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 3
The 770M (35 i db i think ambience attentuation), SENN 280 (32db "), , Brainwavs hm9 (Z reviews said it was more than the Senny), so these 3 i can think of atm :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back