Highest frequency you can hear?
Jun 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #121 of 135
I think I can still make out something at 19KHz, but I might be imagining it. So, 18 for me. Don't care much anyway, music is a bit lower.. :) Plus I'm starting to feel lucky for not hearing every electronic whine and buzz around like some of the previous posters.

For a couple of years in highschool I used to burn out cheapo headphones from listening at extreme volume. I feel really sad for my ears just thinking about it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #122 of 135
This was interesting to try. I could clearly hear 17k at normal volume, it took a bit of a bump on the volume dial to make out 18k and then 19k is barely decipherable at high volume as well.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #123 of 135
Through tones generated on audacity and played through iTunes, I could hear 20k rather easily on normal volumes, but through the online tones someone posted, I could only hear 17k.  So I don't know what's with the deal there.

The 20k tone on audacity reminded me of this phone that a couple people had-- I think it was called the cricket?  That adults were not supposed to hear.  Both the cricket ringtone and the 20k signal had this undulating presence to it, while 19k and lower was more of a linear type of tone.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #124 of 135
Quote:
Through tones generated on audacity and played through iTunes, I could hear 20k rather easily on normal volumes, but through the online tones someone posted, I could only hear 17k.  So I don't know what's with the deal there.

The 20k tone on audacity reminded me of this phone that a couple people had-- I think it was called the cricket?  That adults were not supposed to hear.  Both the cricket ringtone and the 20k signal had this undulating presence to it, while 19k and lower was more of a linear type of tone.

Oh yeah, I remember that I was one of the few (actually might have been the only one) who could hear it in the classroom. I heard it loudly too so I was surprised no one else noticed. The owner of the phone himself didn't hear it and was just trying to see if anyone would notice. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #125 of 135
I can hear up to 19.5kHz, but only at elevated (+10dB) volumes.  When I was younger, (in my 20's) the 15750Hz of horizontal oscillators in televisions of the day (40 years ago) used to drive me out of the room.  Even though I can still hear that today, it wouldn't drive me out of the room any more.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #126 of 135
Haha, I know what you're talking about, I'm 24 and in my room I still got my parent's old CRT widescreen TV and I hear this frequency very well, it's very annoying if some1 is watching TV while I'm on the computer as the noise is more clearly heard from the side and it's worse when the TV has just been turned on.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #127 of 135
I can hear up to 17khz. At 18khz, it becomes incredibly faint, and hearing cuts off at 19khz. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #130 of 135
Hello,

As I was telling in my signature, I'm able to reach 19 kHz.  I might add I'm 31 years old and have always taken good care of my hearing.  A few months ago, I endured an earache which considerably affected my left ear for more than one month: everything past 6 or 8 kHz was inaudible for that ear !  That, coupled with another hearing trouble (not hearing the same pitch for one same note heard by the left or the right ear, a difference of up to one and a half tone !).

Fortunately, my left ear (almost ?) fully recovered and now I can hear with the same accuracy from both ears.  So, 19 kHz for me :)

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #131 of 135
I'm usually pretty good at tests but I suck at this one!

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #132 of 135
Last I checked, I couldn't really make out anything above 19.2 kHz

Quote:
Haha, I know what you're talking about, I'm 24 and in my room I still got my parent's old CRT widescreen TV and I hear this frequency very well, it's very annoying if some1 is watching TV while I'm on the computer as the noise is more clearly heard from the side and it's worse when the TV has just been turned on.

This.  I can't stand old CRTs.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #133 of 135
I can hear 19KHz clearly at my normal volume level 
but for 20KHz I had to turn up the volume to the max in able to hear it .. 

thats on my HD 598 .. while on the m50 I can clearly hear the 20KHz .

I have to mention my PC is making a hell lot of noises beside me.. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #135 of 135
I've tested this several times with different sources/headphones and top out at about 18khz. I could hear all the way up to 22khz with the noise addicts test, but I'm not sold on the accuracy of their setup, it could be that there was some post-processing of the audio file embedded in the flash applet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back