highes sound quality portable media player?
Feb 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa Clip/Clip+/Fuze - Cheap, excellent quality, FLAC support, various colors, and external memory. No real quality difference in the series. Cheapest by far.

A great player; listening to my Clip+ 8GB right now. Picked it up about a month or so ago for the ridiculous price of $65; I think it came to less than $70 with tax.

Pros:

Great sound (I'm currently using it unamped with ProtaPros)

Great format support, including Ogg, Flac, Secure WMA, MP3 (Duh!), others

Has serviceable FM radio with good auto-preset function

Very easy-to-navigate interface

MicroSDHC slot, which makes Flac practical.

Both MSC and MTP compatible

Bright, legible display (text only)

Very small

Cons:

Very small. As in I've lost two of them. But then again, if my head weren't attached to my neck, I'm sure I would have lost that by now, too.

FM reception is good in strong signal areas, but not great. Reception not as good in weak signal areas.

No Rockbox support...yet

Has a clock, but there is no convenient way to display it. You have to drill down into the systems settings menu to read the time. This is because the clock is included, I suspect, for some internal use, and not as a convenience. This is a VERY minor criticism, which could easily be fixed with a firmware update. Not a priority for me, though.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaloney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that clip+ looks awesome! too bad the battery life is so short.

That's a complaint that I have heard, honestly. Another strange drawback I've discovered in the past few weeks of cold weather is that my Clip+ is very sensitive to low temperatures. If I carry it in near-freezing or lower temps, without keeping it secure and warm in an inside pocket, the sound pretty much collapses. The channel balance degrades to a single, mono-like signal but with a significantly jumbled freq balance. After a few minutes in warmer temps, the problem disappears, and everything is fine again. There appears to be no permanent damage.

The first time this happened, I assumed that either

a) The HF jack was toast, and I had to return the unit, or

b) My PortaPros's cable plug needed to be replaced.

But, as I said, the problem quickly disappears when the unit is returned to more friendly temps.

This has now happened, with the same symptoms, about four or five times, always in very cold conditions. I've never before taken the operating temp spec listed for most players very seriously; I do now.

I have no idea whether this is s quirk of my specific unit, or if the Clip+ just doesn't like the cold.

As annoying as this is, it doesn't really make me any less pleased with the Clip+. I'm just going to have to remember when the weather is cold to keep it safe and warm in an inside pocket of my jacket, and not take it out to fiddle with it any more than necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the clip/clip+/fuze with koss ksc 75's/portapro's/sportapro's is the best budget rig out there period. Everyone should have it really as a benchmark for what good quality low cost audio can provide.

You're preaching to the choir, dude. All I can say is amen!

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 22
Ditch flac and your phone and buy a 3GS.
Amazing tbh.
Far far far better than my old 5.5g/mini3 combo.

Thread over tbh.....

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCM-D1. Convert your FLA to WAV.

Why? WAV has few, if not any advantages over flac. He should get a player that supports flac so he can actually view tags or filenames if he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back