HighEnd DAC That Plays Bit Perfect 24/192 Files from MacBook Pro and can be used in a High-End System via S/DIF "In" from a Transport
Jul 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jacofman

Head-Fier
Though I consider myself a die-hard audiophile, I am a bit dense when it comes to the techno stuff around USB and S/DIF conversion, etc. I have two needs for the DAC:

1. To play hi-res files (24bit/192khz) from my MacBook Pro (MBP) through a really good-sounding DAC and into my tube headphone amp or through my high end system (both requiring RCA inputs);

2. To use the DAC in my high-end system using my modified Sony as a transport with the signal being sent to the DAC via S/DIF only

Most importantly, I want it to sound really good. I was thinking of getting the KingRex UD384, but I realized that it doesn't have "S/DIF in", only "out"--so it won't work in my high end system. 

And I'm fuzzy on this one--I understand the MBP only outputs 24/96 from the USB port, so in order to get my hi-res files (24/192) to play I need to use the "S/DIF out, or the headphone jack) on my MBP. Is that true? If so, then most USB DAC's that call themselves "hi-res) will only output 24/96, correct?

Which DAC's out there will perform both functions? I'd like to keep it in the $500-750 range, but I need to go higher, I will. Thanks for your help in advance.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 8
I think you have it backwards. The optical specification only supports 24/96. At least from Apple. USB will transmit whatever you want from a MAC.

No clue on the DAC for that price range.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes i think m2man is correct in saying that the Macbook's optical only goes up to 96kHz and USB can go to whatever the dac accepts. 

As for a DAC that fits your requirements and budget, i would have thought there were quite a few, but i'd recommend having a look at the Resonessance Labs Concero. 

http://resonessencelabs.com/concero/

Perhaps you would get more replies if you posted in the dedicated source component forum, rather than the high end forum. Or perhaps a mod could move it. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 8
^^^ Yes, definitely the wrong forum. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for your help. I've figured things out and I'm going to get the Asus Xonar Essence One Plus Edition DAC/Amp
(http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_One_Plus_Edition/#overview). It's got all the features, the sound quality, and the price that work for me. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back