High vs Low Gain for HD 650s?
Sep 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jamesino

100+ Head-Fier
I pulled the trigger on a Schitt M&M stack. While waiting for it to arrive, I am listening to my HD 650 on a Fiio E10 that has a adjustable High/Low Gain switch.

Even on the low gain setting, I can crank up the volume on my HD 650 to an uncomfortable level. 

Would anything be different if I switched it over to High gain and listened to it at a lower amplification level such that the final loudness is the same?

In other words, if an amp at low gain can drive a can to an acceptable level of loudness, is it necessary to use high gain at all? Do I miss anything by not using high gain?

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 3
  I pulled the trigger on a Schitt M&M stack. While waiting for it to arrive, I am listening to my HD 650 on a Fiio E10 that has a adjustable High/Low Gain switch.
Even on the low gain setting, I can crank up the volume on my HD 650 to an uncomfortable level. 
Would anything be different if I switched it over to High gain and listened to it at a lower amplification level such that the final loudness is the same?
In other words, if an amp at low gain can drive a can to an acceptable level of loudness, is it necessary to use high gain at all? Do I miss anything by not using high gain?

I would assume you would want the Fiio E10 on high gain as the HD650s are 300-Ohm.
But the correct setting is whatever your ears like best.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 3
Agree on this point - your ears know best.

If you have sufficient volume and a usable range on the volume control with low gain then great. If not - try high gain. Please remember to turn the volume down before you flick the switch though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back