High, shrilly "S"s
Aug 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zuk0v

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question (or even if the right forum exists on this web site), but I'll try anyway.

Lately I've noticed, sometimes when someone makes the "sh" sound in a song or movie, it comes through my headphones as loud as a whistle and incredibly shrilly. I'm sure some of you know what phenomenon I'm referring to. Is this to blame on the recording quality, or the headphones? Is there something I can do to cut back down on this occurring?

I have an HD650 and FiiO e7/e9 playing through my laptop.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Most Sennheisers I've listened to have been quite 'polite' in the highs including the HD650 compared to other brands, which leads me to believe it is most likely the recording(s). 
It doubt it's the amp.

You may need to adjust your normal listening levels - your ears will thank you in the future when they still work. 
If that's not the issue then you might want to consider using the EQ on your laptop media player. If you media player doesn't have one, get 'foobar'.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question (or even if the right forum exists on this web site), but I'll try anyway.

Lately I've noticed, sometimes when someone makes the "sh" sound in a song or movie, it comes through my headphones as loud as a whistle and incredibly shrilly. I'm sure some of you know what phenomenon I'm referring to. Is this to blame on the recording quality, or the headphones? Is there something I can do to cut back down on this occurring?

I have an HD650 and FiiO e7/e9 playing through my laptop.

I even get that occasionally with the hd580 which also has polite treble. It's a lot worse on other headphones, so consider yourself lucky that you've got one of the ones with relaxed treble. I'm surprised to find it in modern recordings, but it's occasionally there. Also, I think crummy mp3 quality will bring it out. Someone else would have to confirm this, since I'm not certain about that. I do hear it on good quality files too though. Can't figure out why the engineers let it slip through, but one Norah Jones track("Don't Know Why"....the song title that is) seemed more sibilant than normal, and I found it pretty annoying with the k240DF. IIRC, it's there with the Sennheisers too, but not as bad.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
 Also, I think crummy mp3 quality will bring it out. 

I find that low quality mp3s kill the highs making them very soft and mushy. 

I think that a lot of engineers do most of their mastering on loudspeakers, which on the whole are much more forgiving than headphones.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 8
It's in the recordings most likely. I had some m50s and was having problems with sibilance on some recordings. I got the HD600 and it's still there.  This was with FLAC files btw.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 8
Since you're using the HD650, I'd say the sibilance you're hearing is probably in the recording.

I've run some quick tests with my library on some songs and tracks that had sibilance with some Grados did not with the HD650. It's very smooth in the mids and treble.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I find that low quality mp3s kill the highs making them very soft and mushy. 

I think that a lot of engineers do most of their mastering on loudspeakers, which on the whole are much more forgiving than headphones.

If that's true about mastering done on loudspeakers then that could explain it, since the air/distance between the speakers and the engineer will dissipate the treble more than the other frequencies, FWIR. But shouldn't they be checking the mixes with headphones too, since a lot of music buyers are using ipods and iphones, etc? I still get sibilance on some of my old 128kbs mp3's, so I doubt the mp3 compression is killing that area of the treble....sibilance is mostly below 10k 

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 8
It could be either the headphone or recording.

My Superlux HD681, It was like good headphones through broken glass. Thank headphone god for EQ. Sssoooooo mucchhhh ssssssssssssibilancccccccccce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back