High-res music - your listening experience
Oct 22, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #46 of 57

Just assume none of it's necessary
tongue.gif

I'll just skip all these unnecessary headphones, amps, DACs, sources, and cables and go for the Apple iChip - an implant that transmits music directly to your brain simply by thinking about it.
tongue.gif

I removed headphones and speakers from my audio system. that way I avoid a massive amount of distortions. and the sound is VERY clean. totally transparent experience. ^_^

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #47 of 57
Thought you guys might be interested in this.

I'll be buying the actual CD and ripping it myself - but it's good to see that HD Tracks are finally coming clean about the original

http://www.hdtracks.com/24-karat-gold-songs-from-the-vault-deluxe-version

Notes: 44k recordings mastered to 96/24

Charging USD 27.00 for a 96/24 remaster of a rebook recording - when you can buy original CD for USD 12.00 from Amazon

Shakes head .......

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #48 of 57

I'll be buying the actual CD and ripping it myself - but it's good to see that HD Tracks are finally coming clean about the original

Charging USD 27.00 for a 96/24 remaster of a rebook recording - when you can buy original CD for USD 12.00 from Amazon

Shakes head .......

Yes, but now they are honest thieves! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I agree, now I know to not bother with that download.
I'm sure they have many true 96 kHz files.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #49 of 57

Shakes head .......

sox vault16.wav -b 24 vault24.wav rate -v 96000

Hey look at me, I'm a hi-res music delivery service!  We'll see how much we have to keep this whole Pono business honest.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #50 of 57
  I removed headphones and speakers from my audio system. that way I avoid a massive amount of distortions. and the sound is VERY clean. totally transparent experience. ^_^

lol

Shakes head .......

There are regulations prohibiting deceptive advertising...but since they openly admit to it, there's no problem! XD

Anyway, it could be mastered in a way that sounds different enough to be worth it to some people, though I'm not sure why they don't just release it in 16/44.1. I have some HDtracks albums that sound pretty different from the CDs due to coming from different masters.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 57
My experience is that it isn't really any better than lossless 16/44.1.  If I do hear a difference, 100% of the time it's been due to mastering.  This is on my Fiio X3 with my Audio Technica ATH-M50S headphones.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #52 of 57
Some yes, some no. Passed some online tests, but wasn't always easy. Way back did some MP3 ABX testing, was tough (had high-end speakers, but not current Sennheiser HD 800 headphones).

With some of the high-res recordings, the mastering makes a big difference and makes it easy to tell. For example, there was one recording that was atrocious when it came out when CDs were new and "perfect sound". It absolutely paled next to the LP. The next CD "re-mastering" wasn't much better. But, recent re-mastering on HDtracks was much better and probably as good as I'll hear from that recording.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #53 of 57
What is the take on the HiRes provider Acoustic Sounds? Are they generally offering HiRes directly from master tracks or is much of the material they offer pure upsampling from 44/16 ?

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #54 of 57
Most of the stuff is mixed to release on 16/44.1, so what's the difference?

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #57 of 57
You don't need DSD to do LP transfers. 16/44.1 is perfectly adequate if your capture levels are set well from the start to avoid clipping. High rate audio just captures more noise outside the range of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back