high quality open headphones
Jun 30, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
For the past few weeks I've been searching for some nice eadphones to replace my crappy earbuds. I listen to music (mainly classical and rock, but really everything except rap, techno, and metal) on my computer and ipod, and sometimes i'll watch dvds on the computer. i game very rarely, so that is the least of my worries. I have an sb live! 5.1 digital sound card with the latest stable kx drivers.

I was going to buy some senn hd555s for only $80 from ecost (refurb), but they sold them all. I'm now considering the hd515s, some 555s i found only ebay for $115 or so, or hd485s.

i've also heard fantastic things about the senn px 100s. how are they?

i've heard tell of the icemat siberias headphones, but google revealed nothing about them. any links, pics, comments would be appreciated.

I can't really spend more than $120, and less than $80 is ideal. They must be openair, and preferably have cups around my ears, but i don't mind circumaural cans as long as they are comfortable (also important). they need to be easily driven (without an amp) by my sound card and my ipod. they need to sound a good as possible
biggrin.gif

suggestions and help, please!!!!!!!

Me...:

HD555 (>) EH350 and HD485 (the latter two according to your preferences, see Headroom)

MS1 is a Grado in the guts, these three are Sennheisers - which makes quite a difference. You should try to determine if you prefer a smooth, more 'understated' sound quality or if you belong in the party praising the 'forward'. Better to possibly listen/try them first!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #17 of 41
are there any big stores that sell headphones and would let me try them out?
near me are a bestbuy, tweeter, target, and compusa. oh, yeah, and a circuit city.

What do you mean by a "forward" sound? I like the idea of "smooth," but if the senn quality just isn't to par with grado sr60 or alessandro ms-1, i'll go with one of them.

is there any way to find prices of these headphones on multiple sites? a price guide of multiple sites, maybe? I doubt I'll be allowed to spend $100 on the ms-1 cans if my other option is only $70.........

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #18 of 41
I've been reading that the grado's soundstage is a bit constrained, which would make sound positioning (like identifying where footsteps in cs are, or sounds in movies coming from correct direction) a bit difficult. i know gaming is one of the least of my priorities, but i'd like it to work well nonetheless.

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

I've been reading that the grado's soundstage is a bit constrained, which would make sound positioning (like identifying where footsteps in cs are, or sounds in movies coming from correct direction) a bit difficult. i know gaming is one of the least of my priorities, but i'd like it to work well nonetheless.

Unfortunately, in your price range, and by your criteria (open, good for rock & classical & gaming, good unamped) no single pair of cans will fit the bill. The best you can do is prioritize your criteria.

Thus, I agree with the consensus that SR-60 (or MS-1) would be a fine way to start. In a year or two (probably more like a month ot two
very_evil_smiley.gif
) you can invest in a second pair to compliment the Grados, and perhaps a modest amp.

Jun 30, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 41
music quality is way more important for me than gaming.

i agree that the sr-60 or ms-1 would be my bst choice. but which?

Jun 30, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 41
seems to me, the sr60s are the darlings of the headphone community. i havent read about one other headphone that gets more praise or even talked about more. and this is all related to its sound quality and the price you can get it for. since you've never heard any grado - i couldnt possibly see how the sr60 would be a bad buy. it is the lowest entry grado phone, and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the entire grado/alessandro lineup will sound (generally).

and as much as i love my sr60 - the koss lineup (porta/sporta/ksc35/55/75/ktxpro) to me is an even better buy (for the price). but no doubt, even if you did go with the koss, you'll still wonder about the grado house sound...

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #22 of 41
i'm almost convinced

any other opinoins?

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #23 of 41
The HD555 is better than the MS-1 notwithstanding the different signatures. I mean for music such as mine (acoustic folk-rock-country-blues-pop
biggrin.gif
), the only case I can speak of.
smily_headphones1.gif

The EH350, HD485 and SR60 compete in the same class, but again, I would not think twice and go with a senn., personally. (I don't care for the grado mid-treble/treble behaviour)

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 41
ok so it's now between the senn hd485, the senn eh350, and the grado sr-60.

which have better overall performance? music? movies? games? (in that order of preference)

which have a better soundstage?

which have a fuller sound (I like full sounds
biggrin.gif
)?

HeadRoom calls the grados the best headphones under $100. Should I trust their review, should I believe them?

HeadRoom prices the grados at $70, the eh350s at #80, and the hd485s at $90

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #25 of 41
Will only answer this: the HD485 has a sound as full as you demand
biggrin.gif
but is said to sound clean&rich.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #26 of 41
also, there is a large discussion about which oads are better for grados. Which pads would my grados come with stock?

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
The HD555 is better than the MS-1 notwithstanding the different signatures.

Yes, I prefer the HD 555 over the MS-1's. They are both very good but I prefer the fuller sound of the HD 555.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

i'm almost convinced

any other opinoins?

Yes, very much so: I'd recommend to try the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840). That's a fairly efficient inexpensive headphone with good comfort (unless you have very big ears, I'd assume...) and surprisingly good sound quality for the low price (~ 25 Euro over here). Could be much more ideal for your purposes, 'cause I'd imagine the comfort and handling issues to be rather unnerving for computer use...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 41
never heard of them. I'd like to go with some universally acclaimed cans like the hd485, eh350, or grado sr-60. I just need help deciding between them.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back