High quality music downloads?
Jan 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
limewire

Yea, the quality control is just fantastic on limewire!
icon10.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you buy music, you have the right to download it through whatever, otherwise illegal, channels you wish. For example, once you buy a CD you can go to what.cd and download a FLAC copy for personal use.

This has never actually been proven in court. It depends on how you interpret the law - theoretically, yes, you could be right. But the judge could see it the other way. So I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have the money to pay for a lawyer in a long, drawn-out legal battle.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by twmrussen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just found out that play.com are no offering a music download service. The quality is better than amazon and itunes plus, 320 kbps
smily_headphones1.gif

256K AAC (iTunes Plus) is supposedly the same quality or better than 320K MP3. AAC is the improved version of MP3.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by twmrussen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the best of my knowledge thats pure advertising nonsense from apple, its only marginally better at equal bit rate and this is unnoticeable through even high-end equipment.

You are very confused. AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding. Apple chose to use it but it is an industry standard.

ISO/IEC MPEG Audio Committee are the creators of AAC, who also created the MP3 format.

You might want to read up on it.

Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dolby labs was also involved in creating AAC.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/aac.html

AAC beats out MP3 consistently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec_listening_test

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #39 of 48
hydrogen audio does a lot of listening tests where Lame mp3 equals AAC for the same bitrates, generally 128k and up. AAC is better than the original mp3 codec from a decade ago but the LAME developers keep improving it all the time. Ditto for OggVorbis.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hydrogen audio does a lot of listening tests where Lame mp3 equals AAC for the same bitrates, generally 128k and up. AAC is better than the original mp3 codec from a decade ago but the LAME developers keep improving it all the time. Ditto for OggVorbis.

There are alot of people on Hydrogen audio that can ABX the difference between AAC and Lame Mp3.

People over at hydrogenaudio don't think iTunes Plus is inferior. I was just correcting the misconception that somehow 320K mp3 is superior to iTunes Plus or Amazon.

All you have confirmed is that most people can't hear the difference. Technically and Theoretically AAC is a better than MP3. Whether people can hear the difference is highly personal.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are alot of people on Hydrogen audio that can ABX the difference between AAC and Lame Mp3.

The tests I've looked at found the difference btwn LAME, AAC, and OggVorbis statistically insignificant at bit rates as low as 80kb/s, and its been a few years since i've looked at any of them so i'd suspect that LAME and Ogg have improved additionally. Does work continue on AAC? I know they developed AAC+ and HE-AAC(?) as low bitrate optimums. But I've never seen examples of ppl who could reliably distinguish btwn high bit rate versions of LAME, AAC, and Ogg. I could have missed them tho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All you have confirmed is that most people can't hear the difference. Technically and Theoretically AAC is a better than MP3. Whether people can hear the difference is highly personal.

How do you validate the assertion that "technically and theoretically AAC is better than MP3"? How is any psycho-acoustic model validated?

The MP3 vs AAC debate seems much ado about nothing. I do however like low bitrate Ogg and think its better than low bitrate mp3 or aac. AAC+ is probably just as good but my fuze no-likey. WMA is another can-o-worms.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you buy music, you have the right to download it through whatever, otherwise illegal, channels you wish. For example, once you buy a CD you can go to what.cd and download a FLAC copy for personal use.

Same goes for purchased downloads.

That said, buy CDs. Don't buy downloads.

If you've bought the CD, you wouldn't have any need to download it, though, would you? You can burn your own copy from the CD. If you've sold your CD and you then download it without paying, I would think that would be construed as a copyright violation.

All I buy is downloads, basically. CD's take up too much space and are harder to keep organized.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #45 of 48
i dont kno if it lawfull or not but..

I am now getting my music from YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and im happy with the quality/selection there. and u can listen to it before you dl. its free. lots of people are now listing to music on youtube.

youtube videos are now in highquality.. to see any youtube video in High Quality add "&fmt=18" to the end of the URL
it works on all youtube videos here is an example

normal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwBqf...e=channel_page

high quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwBqf...el_page&fmt=18

Here is how to download highquality mp4 files from youtube

you dont have to download anything (besides the music ofcorse)

1. Find a nice song on youtube with good quality audio
2. Go to http://www.file2hd.com/
3. put the URL of the youtube video
4. check the movies icon , then click Get files
5. click on the highquailtymp4 file and save it . give it a name too

Now you have an mp4 video file. I convert mine to digital auto MP4 files with nero burning rom witch is about 3-4 times bigger than an mp3. you can convert them to mp3's if you think space is more important than sound quality

open up nero burning rom. click on extras then encode files add the files and convert to mp3/mp4 slect high quality under settings. then click go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back