High quality DAC and high quality Mini monitor shootout.
Jun 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Golden Ears

100+ Head-Fier
Moderator please add date June 27 9-4pm Laguna Beach to the thread title.

For those of you who have already decided on their headphone choice but are still searching for the proper deck combination, or perhaps even a set of many monitors this is the meet for you.

I hosted two other meets in Southern California in Venice , and this one will be at my other beach home in Laguna Beach just 40 steps from the sand, and a two minute walk from three other beaches, some of the loveliest beach coves in Southern California.

There is free parking in the Pavillions lot across the street and free beach shuttles from this lot. Address will be PM'ed to those coming,

DAC list- with original pricing for comparison

MSB Analog DAC stack with volume control ( all separate power supplies and transports) $22,419

Wadia 860x 24/96 PCM DAC /CD player with Great Northern Sound Starement level upgrade with volume control $8950

Acoustic quality AQUA LA SCALA PCM only NOS DAC ( Johnny Darkos favorite DAC yet! Only model in Southern California! $5500

Acoustic quality AQUA LA VOCE PCM only NOS DAC( you can roll 4 different DAC chips in this, only unit in SoCal) $2600

Hegel HD25 PCM only with volume control

Monitors

GENELEC s30D ribbon studio monitors 3 way with 120 watts class a/b per driver with 24/96 DAC built in and tone shaping, bass shelving, and individual level control for each driver. $6600

I really want to keep this to premium level gear $2500 and up for DACS and $5000 and up for mini monitors. This is not a Best Buy level shoot out.

I will add your DAC and or Mini monitor to the list, and by mini monitor i mean speakers that would fit on a stand. Or perch atop a subwoofer., basically anything a single person could carry easily.

Why speakers at all ? Well because I got into looking for office headphones and a mini system. And well..things got out of hand in audio ( as they tend to do) and I ended up with so many extra audio pieces that all I had to do to add music to the whole house was add speakers and amps and airport expresses and Apple TV to all the DACS I wasn't using... ( sounds like you?..) and because it makes the wife extremely happy to get something ( music for her home) for tolerating our headphone hobby.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Impressive list. Too bad it conflicts with another meet in the area I'm going to that day. I'd love a shoot out between those wonderful dacs and the Schiit Yggdrasil. There aren't enough of those comparisons. Good luck with your meet.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Oops,, I missed that other meet. I will reschedule mine in a new thread and cancel this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back