High-Quality D-SUB 15-pin High-Density (i.e., VGA) Male Connector
Jul 12, 2008 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ingwe

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm building cables for my Apogee Duet. So far I'm using RadioShack connectors but would like to source some, if possible, better quality connectors--gold plated pins, whatever. My Google Search was an exercise in frustration.
frown.gif
Any ideas?

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 9
I've actually had really good luck with connectors from Radioshack, but be prepared, almost all aftermarket hoods will require modification to fully seat on the duet female socket.

Otherwise, head over to Mouser and start searching. Also, be aware that you want/need a high-density Dsub 15, you'll be disappointed if you get a regular 15 pin (two rows of pins, much wider).

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've actually had really good luck with connectors from Radioshack, but be prepared, almost all aftermarket hoods will require modification to fully seat on the duet female socket.

Otherwise, head over to Mouser and start searching. Also, be aware that you want/need a high-density Dsub 15, you'll be disappointed if you get a regular 15 pin (two rows of pins, much wider).

Thanks for the words-to-the-wise (were it I was wise lol). Yea, my google search and a wikipedia lookup taught me the distinction between the HD and regular 15-pin. And, I learned the hard way about the forced modifcation to the hood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again!

-m

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, doesn't really answer my question though. But thanks!

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how you manage to solder those small iPod Dock pins.
smily_headphones1.gif
And, I owe you a debt of gratitude for your post on how to put it together.

There are two approaches - a steady hand, or the trick of a folded piece of paper to isolate each of the pins. I'll try to find a link to better explain the second approach.

I added to my previous post the possibility of contacting BJC to perhaps buy one of their connectors.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 9
^

This link offers an explanation of teh paper between pins approach.

There is a photo somewhere.

I tried this approach and found it difficult to hold everything; I went back to the steady hand approach
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back