High quality CIEM's with smooth (non-fatigue) sound signature
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Martijn W

Head-Fier
Hi,

Currently I am looking for custom in ear monitors to replace my current RHA MA750's.
I really like the RHA's, but since I have an A&K AK70 player I am looking to upgrade to better in ears.
My requirements are:
- Custom (CIEM) (essential)
- Non-fatiguing sound (very important)
- High sound quality (important)
- Enough bass (important)
- Price category $500 to $1000 (indication)

I love high sound quality but I am sensitive to listener fatigue. For example, headphones that like because they don't fatigue me are my current 'RHA 750 in ears and my Sennheiser HD650 over ear headphone. These also provide enough (tight) bass (which I like).

What would be the least fatuiging CIEMs that have a great sound and enough bass to serve my requirements?

My objective with this thread is to gain a list of options.
Then I can check which of these can be auditioned (in a universal fit) where I life (Netherlands) before ordering a custom fit.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 24
I have the same sensitivities and can highly recommend the Custom Art Harmony 8.2 (just above your budget), or on a lower budget the Custom Art FIBAE 2. Custom Art has demo units available and will send them out to you if you want to demo first.

Also, 64 Audio is a good option, but I have only heard the (universal) U6.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Ah, or you can try AAW hybrid lineup. They’re smooth, with great bass. If you can extend your budget a bit, get AAW W500 for that extra bass quality.

@Wyville I’m not sure if it’s good idea getting Harmony 8.2 now since I heard some higher end FIBAE prototype is out there in the wild. While I totally agree that H8.2 is excellent, FIBAE technology is game changer.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 24
Ah, or you can try AAW hybrid lineup. They’re smooth, with great bass. If you can extend your budget a bit, get AAW W500 for that extra bass quality.

@Wyville I’m not sure if it’s good idea getting Harmony 8.2 now since I heard some higher end FIBAE prototype is out there in the wild. While I totally agree that H8.2 is excellent, FIBAE technology is game changer.
Yes, there are some higher end FIBAE's on the way, but nothing to replace the H8.2 yet. Piotr explained that the next one is FIBAE-3 and there is one more, but that is not the H8.2 replacement. For the TOTL Piotr indicated that it is all still in the concept phase (ideas mostly). So as much as I would love to see the TOTL FIBAE, I don't expect them any time soon.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 24
Some updates:

Westone
Currently I have a demo for the ES50. Actually they are UM PRO 50's.

I kind of like them. At first they sound boring, but after a 10-20 minutes of getting used they sound quite detailed.
They are not very fatiging, but not completely fatigue free either. After 1,5-2 hours at low volumes i started to feel first sympthoms of fatigue.
The amount of bass of the UM PRO 50's imo is quite good.

Purchasing ES50's in Europe will be around 1150 euro's (around 1350 dollar) which is WAY to expensive if you ask me. I read in the ES50 topic that ES50 sounds better than these UE RP50's, but they damn well should. But if they do, purchasing them would stil be a leap in the dark based on this demo...

Custom Art
Also I contacted Custom Art. I had some doubt between Harmony 8.2 and FIBAE2.
Piotr adviced to try FIBAE2 based on my requirements. H8.2 kept dragging my attention, but I still doubt if they have enough bass for my taste..
Anyway, I decided to trust Piotr and see what FIBAE2 has to offer.
Piotr will send me FIBAE2 in approx 1 week.

I am very curious how they will compete against the Westone UM PRO 50's that I am listening to right now :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back